This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1166203



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Toft Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196539

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/59 Church of St. Michael

1-11-66 II*

Parish Church; C12, C13, C14, C16, restoration of 1860 by James Fowler of Louth. Roughly coursed limestone and ironstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross fleury to ridges. Nave with western bellcote, chancel, south porch. West end has single C19 lancet and C19 gabled ashlar bellcote with single bell opening. On the north side of the nave the blocked 3 bay arcade visible. It is lit by 2 C19 lancets and a single C19 2 light window. Towards the east end is a chimney stack the top part in ashlar with foiled quatrefoil decoration. The east end has a single C19 2 light window. The south side of the chancel has a 2 light late C13 2 light window with recut Y tracery. The nave has 3 light C16 window with roll moulded reveals and four centred head. The south porch and south doorway are C19 Early English style. The interior: The blocked late C13 3 bay north arcade has octagonal columns and plain capitals. The chancel arch is C12, small and narrow with no decoration. All furnishings and fittings date from the 1860 restoration as does the stained glass in chancel and east end. The floor is partly of Minton tiles. The font is a plain octagonal bowl on a C19 base. Monuments: In the chancel, in C19 plain alcoves on either side of the altar are 2 miniature C14 stone effigies. That on the north is of a lady, hands in prayer and feet resting on a dog. Inscribed in Lombardic script is her name "Helaine", On the south side is a male civilian with his feet on a woolstack, inscribed "William". Both figures lie on small coffin shaped slabs and have been colour washed.

Listing NGR: TF0510487358

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 05104 87358


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 09:31:57.

End of official listing