CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1166329
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166329.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 02:28:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Braceby and Sapperton
National Grid Reference:
TF 01874 33966

Details

TF 03 SW BRACEBY AND SAPPERTON SAPPERTON

6/13 Church of St. Nicholas 20-9-66 G.V. II

Parish Church: C12, C13, C14, C15 with 1897 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, plain concrete tiled roof. Western tower, nave, chancel. C13 ashlar tower in 2 1/2 stages having plinth, 2 string courses and plain parapet. West side has 2 light C14 ogee headed window and north side has small ogee headed window. The 4 belfry openings, one to each face, are C13, 2 lights with trefoil heads. There is a very small recessed spire, restored in 1897. The earlier pitch of the clerestorey which was removed late in the C19 can be seen. The north aisle has also been removed but in the 1897 restoration the nave was extended to expose the arcade internally. Resetin the new coursed limestone rubble north wall is a C15 3-light window under a 4 centre arch and two C13 2-light windows with geomtric tracery, both heavily recut. The chancel has been shortened, the east window and south lancet are 1897. The south wall of the nave is in coursed limestone rubble with ashlar bands and has 2 C13 3-light intersecting traceried windows. The south doorway is early C13 with dogtooth decoration to the arch. Interior: the north arcade of 3 bays has late C12 octofoil piers one with flat waterleaf capitals and 2 double chamferedround arches and one pointed arch. The tower arch is C13, the chancel arch C19. In the chancel is a piscina. The pews and pulpit are from 1897, the altar rails C18. The font is a C12 round tub on octagonal base. Over the chancel arch is a late C19 rood borrowed from the adjacent redundant church of Haceby. Monuments: in the chancel are 2 tablets with segmental pediments and fluted pilasters to William Lodge d.1736 and Susanna Lodge d.1737. At the west end of the nave are 2 classical monuments with corinthian columns, open pediment, console brackets, shields and scrolls, that on the N.W. side is in white and grey marble to John Saunders d.1685, on the S.W. side in white marble to Ursula Saunders d.1683. In the N.W. side of the nave is C14 effigy set in the floor, of a lady with her head under an ogee arch.

Listing NGR: TF0187433966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
193228
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/05940/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John M. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].