BRANDON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166332
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
BRANDON OLD HALL, BACK LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166332.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 02:47:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRANDON OLD HALL, BACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Hough-on-the-Hill
National Grid Reference:
SK 90412 48338

Details

SK 94 NW HOUGH-ON-THE-HILL BACK LANE BRANDON (east side)

Brandon Old Hall (Formerly 3/96 listed as Brandon Old Hall 19-2-52 and garden wall) G.V. II* House. Early C16, 1637, C18, C19, C20. Coursed dark gold bands of ironstone, light gold bands of ironstone, narrow bands of blue lias and limestone ashlar dressings, slate, plaintile and pantile roofs with stone coped gables, finials, slight kneelers and 2 coped stone ridge stacks. L-plan with C16 and C17 west range and lower C18 and C19 range at rear. 2 storeys and garret, 5 bay west front. Ironstone banded wall and window, below first floor moulded stringcourse of C16. Inserted rectangular headed doorway with ashlar surround and panel door to south with single rectangular window to south and 2 rectangular windows to north. All the windows are of 3 pointed stone lights with moulded mullions. Upper storey, includingnarrow bands of blue lias added in 1637 as were the quoins. 5 windows with 3, three light mullion windows alternating with 2, two light mullion windows. Between the second window from the north and the third is a datestone inscribed "1637 PRE" South return of early C17 masonry with first and second floor moulded stringcourses. Low C20 ground floor rectangular bay windows with a 3 light mullion window above and another 3 light mullion window with a moulded cornice in the gable. East front has a central doorway inserted into mullion window, with plain door and moulded cornice above. Say to the south of 1637 with 3 light mullion window with moulded cornice and another 3 light mullion window above. Banded masonry begins just south of door with a 3 light mullion window with cornice to north, another 3 light mullion window above and 2 light mullion window over door. Small C20 dormer with casement over north bay. C18 and C19 brick extension to west with irregular fenestration, C20 casements with glazing bars and wooden lintels. Doorway in north return. Interior has fragmentary screens passage, and a mutilated chamfered and straight angled cut-stopped beam spans hall fire opening. Staggered butt purlin roof.

Listing NGR: SK9041248338

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
193186
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05898/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].