CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1166457
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166457.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:26:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Staunton on Wye
National Grid Reference:
SO 37551 44833

Details

SO 34 SE; 6/100

STAUNTON-ON-WYE CP, Church of St Mary

02.09.66

GV

I

Parish church. C12, C13 and C14, partly rebuilt in 1720 with later alterations. Sandstone rubble with sandstone and limestone dressings. Stone slate and tiled roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with south porch and two-bay chancel.

Tower is C13 with deep battered plinth and keel-moulded string beneath three diminishing stages. Plain corbel-table beneath eaves. Pyramidal roof with weathercock. West elevation has C19 doorway with shouldered head set in plinth. In the first stage is a chamfered round-headed window with a label. Second stage has a tall rectangular opening. Top stage has a pair of chamfered trefoil-headed openings to each face. North and south sides each have a small chamfered central lancet above the plinth. South side has a single trefoil-headed light in the second stage. North elevation of nave has a small lancet to the right- hand side and a blocked round-headed north doorway to right of centre. To the left-hand side are a pair of blocked two-centred arches, part of a former arcade. In the left arch is a pair of ogee-headed lights. Weathered buttress to left-hand side beneath kneeler and verge from which rises square C19 shaft of chimney. Chancel, rebuilt in 1720, has one central C19 trefoil-headed light on north side. East window has two-centred arch and three stepped lights, the centre one with a trefoiled head. South side has a pair of recessed C19 lancets with trefoil in roundel above, all set beneath round earlier arch. South elevation of nave has a pair of C19 lancets to right-hand side and weathered buttress to right corner. To left of the lancets is a window with pair of chamfered and ogee-headed lights. To the left of the south porch is a small light with an ogee head. South porch is late C19 with gable cross, diagonal buttresses, four-centred limestone outer arch with blind mouchettes in spandrels and a hoodmould. Each return has a truncated window with three ogee lights. South doorway has round C12 arch with continuous roll-moulded inner order and chamfered outer arch supported by a pair of shafts with deep fluted capitals. Label is stopped by imposts. Nail-studded C19 door.

INTERIOR has C19 scissor trusses to chancel and nave, the latter has also four chains connecting wall ties. Chancel has C17 communion table with turned balusters and later top, a pair of C17 oak chairs with arch motif to back panel and seat-front. C19 chancel arch is two-centred with inner order springing from conical fluted corbels. On nave side above the arch is the label of an earlier arch. Nave has two-bay blocked arcade on north wall, two chamfered orders, the east arch ending in an impost decorated with ballflower. Central round pier has a massive capital, almost archaic Greek in its proportions. Tower arch has three chamfered orders, the inner one with half-columns and moulded capitals. Continuous label. Above the tower arch is an opening with a two-centred head. Font is probably early C13. Tapered round bowl and and cylindrical stem. Tower contains C17 panelling with typical arch and acanthus decoration. Continuous lozenge patterns form a string. Six medallions with bas-relief heads, four of which are finely detailed in French Renaissance style and perhaps Flemish and C16. The other two are cruder.

Listing NGR: SO3754644833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150469
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 185-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 291

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16405/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Beatrice Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].