Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BROADLANDS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:34:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
Romsey Extra
National Grid Reference:
SU 35391 20242


ROMSEY EXTRA BROADLANDS ESTATE SU 32 SE 3/28 Broadlands House (formerly listed as 29.5.57 Broadlands with Bridge in Park)


Large country house. An Elizabethan U-shaped shell, refaced and altered for the 2nd Lord Palmerston into a classical design of square plan, in two main stages, of 1768-71 by Capability Brown, and 1788 by Henry Holland, with subsequent minor additions and subtractions. Walls of yellow(white) brickwork in Flemish bond, with Portland stone dressings; eaves cornice, architraves with cornices or triangular or segmental pediments, cill band (north), plinth, and chamfered quoins of 1859. Hipped slate roof, flat-roofed dormers. The west front (1771) is a refacing of the original building (of irregular fenestration) by a symmetri- cal elevation of 2 storeys, attic and basement, 3.3.3 windows. The centre is an Ionic stone portico with pediment, approached by a flight of steps flanked by walls, ending on each side with a Grecian sarcophagus. The ground-floor windows have alternate pediments of triangular and segmental form, and contain Victorian sashes. The central doorway has a larger segmental pediment on brackets. The south elevation is symmetrical, of two storeys, 3.3.3 windows: the centre projects slightly beneath a pediment and the ground-floor windows have pediments; this also was a refacing of an irregular front. The east elevation is a result of Henry Holland's work of 1788, whereby the narrow ends of the Elizabethan wings were widened, and the old enclosed forecourt filled with a recessed portico, and behind it an octagonal toplit vestibule: the result is a symmetrical facade of two storeys and attic, 3. portico . 3 windows. The stone portico has four slender Ionic columns with pilasters at each side, the open interior containing niches on each side of a central doorway. The raising of a front wall to the attic (by T L Donaldson 1859) results in a taller elevation. The north elevation has much of 1954, with eight regular windows and a stone doorframe; this part of the building had a single-storeyed forward extension of 1859, removed 1954. The interior retains a north staircase of pre-Palmerston date and there is a range of state rooms on the west and south sides, having notable Georgian details. The original east front hall became the Sculpture Hall, and later was allied to the axis of the portico and vestibule, the last two with the finely-proportioned classical details of Holland. The house also contains a collection of classical sculpture, furniture, and pottery put together by Holland and Palmerston. The home for many years of Earl Mountbatten.

Listing NGR: SU3506819411


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 19 Hampshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].