CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1166506
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CROFT PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166506.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 05:51:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CROFT PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Croft and Yarpole
National Grid Reference:
SO 44986 65427

Details

SO 46 NW; 2/30

CROFT CP, CROFT PARK, Church of St Michael

11.06.59

GV

I

Parish church. Mid-C14, extended early C16 (dedicated 1515), partly rebuilt C17, restored late C19. Coursed rubble with some ashlar dressings and a machine-tile roof. Chancel, nave with bell turret.

Nave: C14 north wall of three bays with two C14 windows, each of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head, bay to right (west) has an early C18 doorway with bolection moulded architrave beneath an oval window with four key blocks. South wall has two windows, that to east of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head, to west of two ogee cinquefoiled lights under a square head. The south door at the west end is C14 with chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. The square bell turret is of timber, mostly rendered, under a lead covered ogee capping. The belfry vents run all the way around with a series of turned balusters. Chancel: C14, extended early C16. North wall has a blocked C16 four-centred arch, formerly opening into a north chapel. To west of arch a blocked C16 door. South wall has two restored C14 windows, each of three ogee cinquefoiled lights under a square head. East window of four trefoiled lights under a segmental pointed head.

INTERIOR: tall chancel arch with two-centred arch of two chamfered orders continuously moulded. A piscina in south wall of chancel has a two- centred head. Roof of chancel, C16 of three bays with arch-braced collar beam, trusses, with V-struts in the apex, and moulded wall plates. The bay over the altar is boarded, painted with clouds, and the truss has painted cherub heads at the wall-plate. Nave has a similar roof of three bays with cherub heads to one truss. Fittings: west gallery has a bolection moulded panelled front. The font has an octagonal bowl on a re-used base. Pews incorporate C18 raised and fielded panelling. Floor tiles in chancel steps and nave floor are late C15 Malvern tiles, with a few C14 tiles. Reredos of C17 panelling with fluted frieze. Croft monument in chancel (formerly in north chapel) to Sir Richard Croft, died 1509, and his wife. An elaborate altar tomb bearing the recumbent effigies of Sir Richard and his wife. Above their heads an elaborate canopy, the back of which is carved with four saints and other figures.

Listing NGR: SO4498865425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149433
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 33 34
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 108 109
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 20 Hereford and Worcester,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13708/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].