CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1166738
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166738.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:30:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Upton Bishop
National Grid Reference:
SO 65025 27210

Details

SO 62 NE; 5/69

UPTON BISHOP CP, Church of St John the Baptist

25.02.66

GV

I

Parish church. C12 nave and arcade of south aisle, C13 chancel, C14 south porch and rebuilding of south aisle, west tower c1400; restoration of 1862 and south vestry added in 1880. Sandstone rubble; stone slate roof. West tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel and south vestry.

West tower: three stages, stepped diagonal buttressing, two string courses; plain parapet. Trefoil-headed light with square-headed surround to second stage, two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil to belfry. South aisle: two trefoiled-ogee headed lights to square-headed window to left with similar 3-light window to right of south porch. Two cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil to east window of south aisle; trefoiled-ogee-headed light to west window. South porch: gabled with raised verge. Two-centred outer doorway with two chamfered orders, inner dying into responds. Single trefoil-headed lights to returns. Chancel: two trefoiled-ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil to left partly obscured by C19 octagonal vestry; similar 2-light window to right of vestry. East window: early C13 lancets flanking later inserted C14 window of two trefoiled-ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil.

INTERIOR: tall tower arch, two moulded orders; south aisle arcade: three-bay 2-centre-headed arches with drum piers, moulded bases and capitals with trumpet and foliate-type enrichment, largely restored. Blocked C12 doorway in north wall of nave with semicircular head. Moulded reveals to lancets at east end of chancel. Fittings: C14 font, faceted stem with octagonal bowl, quatrefoil panels to each side. C17 pulpit, hexagonal with enriched arcaded panels. Monuments: south aisle recess with segmental pointed arch and chamfered jambs, male effigy in contemporary costume with square object in hands; recess flanked by trefoiled ogee-headed piscinae. Incorporated into south wall of chancel are fragments of sculptural reliefs said to be fragments of a Roman tombstone.

Listing NGR: SO6502327212

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154327
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 192-194
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 304

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06562/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian F. Squires. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].