CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166756.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:56:18.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Eye, Moreton and Ashton
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 49640 63809
SO 46 SE; 6/1
EYE, MORETON & ASHTON CP
Church of St Peter and St Paul
Parish church. Late C12 and early C13, early C14 alterations to north chapel and to chancel, late C14 north porch. Restoration of 1874 by Chick when west tower added or rebuilt and south vestry added. Sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material, tiled roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and north porch, chancel; north chapel and south vestry.
West tower: four stages with two string courses and embattled parapet with gargoyles at corners, pair of lancets to north and south, pairs of two-centred arched headed openings with two trefoil-headed lights and lozenge pattern infill tracery to each side of bell stage, clock face to north side. Nave: three clerestory windows with quatrefoils in rectangular surrounds, south aisle; Y-tracery window inserted in semicircular headed former doorway to left of two square-headed windows with two trefoil headed lights. North aisle; square-headed window with two trefoil headed lights to left and similar window to right of largely restored partly timber-framed north porch; outer entrance has moulded posts and curved braces forming a two-centred arch below the tie-beam, decorative bargeboard, north doorway has semi-circular headed arch of two moulded orders, the inner continuous and the outer springing from attached shafts with foliated capitals. North chapel; lancet to north side to left of blocked semicircular headed doorway, early C14 east window of three pointed lights. C19 south vestry with two- centred arched head to window with two trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil in roundel. Chancel: late C13 window of one trefoil-headed light to south, the early C14 east window has a two-centred arched head with three trefoil- headed lights and tracery.
INTERIOR: the nave has north and south arcades of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders springing from cylindrical piers with moulded bases and capitals, to the east of the south arcade is a capital with scallop decoration. Partly restored C13 chancel arch of two chamfered orders; outer continuous and inner springing from half-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The chancel has a two-bay arcade to the north with segmental pointed arches of two chamfered orders springing from semi-circular responds and central cylindrical pier; moulded bases and foliated capitals. In the south wall of the chancel and to the west is a single lancet window (now blocked to exterior by the addition of the C19 vestry) with attached shafts to splays. The north chapel has an early C14 two-centred headed arch to the west of two moulded orders, the outer having shaped stops and the inner springing from corbels with carved heads. C15 four-bay roof to nave with moulded tie- beams, purlins and wall plates. The tie beam of the third truss is carved with running vine ornament to both faces, C15 chancel roof of two bays with open arch-braced truss and moulded members. C15 roof to north chapel if two bays with central tie beam supporting four upright struts, moulded purlins and wall plates. Fittings: corbels to east of nave marking position of former rood, one with carved head. Late C13 or early C14 font with octagonal bowl, restored stem. C17, partly restored, three-sided pulpit with three horizontal divisions, arabesque ornamentation to top and bottom panels, middle range with enriched arches and figures, two panels have the names of church wardens and the date 1681. Piscina in chancel with trefoiled head and similar piscina in north chapel. Monuments in north chapel, attributed to Sir Rowland Cornewall, c1520, effigy of Knight resited on a C19 or early C20 chest tomb. Sir Richard Cornwall and wife c1540; reclining effigies on contemporary chest tomb with moulded base and capping; sides carved with weepers representing the sons and daughters. North wall of chapel: wall tablet commemorating three sons of Lord Cawley, died 1914-18 designed by Sir Reginaid Blomfield in the style of Wren.
Listing NGR: SO4964363812
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 58
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 129
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing