Church of St Peter and St Lawrence


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter and St Lawrence, Powick


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter and St Lawrence
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:05:56.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter and St Lawrence, Powick

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Malvern Hills (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 83446 51525


SO 85 SW 3/84

POWICK CP Church of St Peter and St Lawrence


GV I Church. C13 and C14, with C12 remains and C15 tower. Restored 1845 and 1896-97. Squared sandstone, with ashlar tower and tile roof. Comprises a west tower, north and south aisles and transepts, and lower chancel.

Tower has diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are of three trefoiled lights under pointed traceried heads. The lights have pierced C19 stone infill. The west window is of four cinquefoiled lights with C19 mullions and tracery. The west doorway is also C19 and has a Tudor-arched head.

The aisles are C14 and each have three windows of two trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. The west window of the north aisle is similar. The west window of the south aisle is of a single trefoiled light. Between the second and third windows of the north aisle is a doorway with straight-sided pointed head. A blocked doorway between the first and second windows of the south aisle is wave-moulded and has a pointed arch.

The transepts are of C12 origin. The north transept has a narrow chamfered round- headed C12 window in both its west and east walls. The north window is of five cinquefoiled ogee lights with Perpendicular tracery. The second window in the east wall is C13, of three trefoiled lights with a large triangular foiled opening above. The west wall of the south transept has a re-tooled window of two lights with Y-tracery. The east wall has a similar window, and a narrow C12 window with round head. The south window is of four pointed lights under a straight-sided pointed arch with tracery. The chancel is C13. The east end of the north wall has two lancets and two string courses. At the west end is a C14 window of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil. To its left is a doorway with pointed arch. In the south wall are three C14 windows similar to the one on the north side. Between the second and third windows is a blocked doorway with canted head and raised chamfered surround. In the centre of the nave roof is a ridge tile with clay finial.

INTERIOR: reveals of pointed tower arch have blank tracery decoration. C19 stone screen divides tower from nave. The five bay nave arcades are of pointed arches chamfered in two orders. The octagonal piers have moulded capitals and are wave moulded in two orders. Above the nave is a collar-rafter roof with soulaces and ashlar pieces. The aisle roofs have moulded principals and purlins. The eastern arches are separated from the others and open into the transepts, which have transverse arches opening into the aisles. The chancel arch is chamfered in two orders, the inner order springing from foliated corbels. The roof has king-post trusses with iron straps. The C13 east window has banded shafts with foliated caps.

The font is C14 and has an octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels which stands on a panelled and moulded stem and base. Memorials on the walls of the north transept include one to Daniel Tyas (died 1673) with Latin inscription and allegorical figures, and one to Mary Russell (1758 - 1786). The latter is by Thomas Scheemakers and has a semi-reclining female figure and a sarcophagus carved with mother and child and muscial instruments.

Listing NGR: SO8344651524


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 189
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 245


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15425/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].