CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1167020
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167020.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:41:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Middleton on the Hill
National Grid Reference:
SO 54052 64606

Details

SO 56 SW; 7/46

MIDDLETON ON THE HILL CP, Church of St Mary

11.06.59

I

Parish church. C12 chancel and nave, early C13 tower with C15 top stage; south porch rebuilt in 1745, nave roof renewed in 1890. Sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material, tiled roof. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel.

West tower: three stages with moulded and splayed plinth and C15 embattled parapet with pinnacles at the angles, lancet windows to north and west, C18 doorway to south, similar lancet windows to second stage, C18 openings in bell stage with two-centred arched heads and rubble infill in the head. Nave: buttresses flank doorways; south side: windows of one cinquefoiled light flank central enlarged C12 light with semicircular head, to the right of the timber-framed south porch, which incorporates earlier pieces of timber, C12 south doorway with semicircular head, jambs of two plain orders, inner supports solid lintel, billet ornament to imposts and zig- zag ornament to head; rubble infill to tympanum. North side of nave has three windows to east of blocked north doorway; easternmost window of one cinquefoil headed light with both windows to the west of one C12 semicircular-headed light. North doorway: semicircular-headed with jambs of two plain orders, inner supports joggled lintel with rubble infill to tympanum, moulded and diapered imposts to outer order with zig-zag and pellets to rounded head, label also decorated with pellet ornament. Chancel: C13 lancet to south and C12 doorway to left of window with semicircular shaped head and chamfered jambs. C12 window of one semicircular-headed light to north. Early C14 reset east window [from Church of St Peter, Pudlestone CP (qv)] of three cinquefoil-headed lights. INTERIOR: C12 semicircular-headed chancel arch of two plain orders with moulded imposts and diaper ornament, two-centred tower arch of one chamfered order. Fittings: late C12 font; circular cup-shaped bowl with chevron ornament and necking, stout cylindrical stem. C13 piscina in the chancel with trefoil head.

Listing NGR: SO5405164605

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150536
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 14
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 252

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13983/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].