CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LONGFORD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167022.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:48:19.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LONGFORD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 44683 61287
SO 4461 KINGSLAND CP LONGFORD (south side)
13/48 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Early C14, incorporating some C13 fragments, some C15 and C16 additions. Chancel restored 1866-1868 by G F Bodley; organ chamber added 1882-3 and tower restored 1924. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave and aisles, north porch and adjoining Volka chapel, south porch, chancel and north vestry. West tower: five stages, C14 except top stage added in C15. Moulded plinth and crenellated parapet, stepped angle buttresses with traceried panels on the outer faces. Stair turret at north-west corner corbelled out in angles between wall and buttress with a trefoil arch over carved heads. Top stage defined by row of corbels, with a small single-light window with two-centred head on south and east walls, the parapet has carved gargoyles. The fourth (belfry) stage has a window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head to each wall. The third stage windows are circular with octofoil cusping. Second stage has a window of one trefoiled light in each wall except to the east where a semi- circular headed doorway opens into the nave roof. First stage has a window of two pointed lights. Ground stage has a window of two pointed lights under a two-centred head with sunk-chamfered reveals in each external wall. Entrance in north wall has moulded jambs and a segmental pointed head with cinquefoil cusping. North aisle of five bays, with four circular windows having sexfoil cusping to clerestory. North porch in bay to west of centre, with small Volka chapel attached to east. Outer arch of porch has chamfered jambs, segmental pointed arch and moulded label with defaced head stops. West wall has a window of four cinquefoiled lights in a square head. North door has double chamfered jambs and a three-sided head elaborately cusped. North window of Volka chapel rectangular divided by transom, the lower part of three square lights with octofoil cusping, the upper of six plain lights. Windows of aisle each of two lights which are plain, trefoiled and cinquefoiled from west to east. The eastern bay has a window of three cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head containing tracery. High in west wall (over C19 organ chamber) circular window with cinquefoil cusping. South aisle of similar design as regards windows. South porch is C15 and timber-framed with cambered tie-beam bearing a central grotesque, king-post roof and decorative bargeboards. Nave: east gable surmounted by a sanctuary bellcote. Chancel: angle buttresses to east end. South wall of three bays, from west to east - windows of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head, a trefoiled lancet and of two trefoiled lights with trefoil above under a two-centred arch. East window of three cinqufoiled lights with tracery under two-centred arch. C14 north vestry, upper storey added in C16. Gable to north with a segmental headed tomb recess at ground level. Interior: entrance to Volka chapel from porch has chamfered jambs and a round shouldered head. In south wall a tomb recess containing empty stone coffin, back of recess has a window of four pointed lights opening into aisle. Nave has a five-bay arcade to each aisle with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders. The octagonal piers have hollows sunk on the diagonal sides, moulded capitals and chamfered bases. Tower arch is segmental pointed of two chamfered orders, the outer dying into the responds, the inner spring- ing from head corbels. South aisle has piscina with trefoil head and adjoining locker. Chancel arch segmental pointed of two chamfered orders, the inner order springing from corbelling at a lower level, probably supporting a rood loft. Entrance to north vestry has three-sided head with cusping. South wall of chancel has a three-seat sedilia, the two eastern seats under a wide semi-elliptical arch, and the western under a cinquefoiled two-centred arch. Piscina to east of sedilia has a trefoil head. Roofs of aisles are C19 boarded lean-tos. Nave roof of six bays, crown posts on arch-braced tie- beams, with crown-plates. Common rafter couples each have collar with straight arch braces. Chancel roof: a boarded barrel vault painted with "IHC" motif, by Bodley. Fittings: pews all C19. Font of C14 has an octagonal bowl with moulded soffit, plain stem and hollow chamfered base. Stained glass of C14 in east window containing numerous figures including Christ in Glory, Coronation of the Virgin in two lights, various coats of arms and Tobias and the Angel Raphael. Placed over altar in south aisle is a framed cartoon by Sir Frank Brangwyn for a stained glass window of the Crucifixion. (RCHM, 3, pp 80 - 82; BoE, p 204-6).
Listing NGR: SO4468561287
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 80-82
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 204-6
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing