CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITHOUT THE PRIORY GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1167160
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITHOUT THE PRIORY GATE, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167160.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2020 at 08:00:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITHOUT THE PRIORY GATE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Southwick and Widley
National Grid Reference:
SU 62594 08644

Details

SU 6208 SOUTHWICK AND WIDLEY HIGH STREET, EAST SIDE 17/37 Church of St James Without 6.3.67 the Priory Gate (formerly listed as Church of James) I An Augustinian priory was established at Southwick c.1150, but the church probably existed before that time. John Whyte was granted the possession of the priory (at the Dissolution) in 1539, and also the offices and dignities of Lay Prior, Ordinary, Patron and Rector of the Peculiar and Parish of Southwick. John Whyte restored (virtually rebuilt) the church in 1566, and it is clear that materials from the priory became re-used, including some detailed features. Walls of flint and stone rubble, with extensive roughcast rendering: upper tower walls of flint, and lower of stone and flint chequerwork: stone dressings. Tile roof. Nave with medieval south wall, containing moulded stone features from the priory, chancel, north chapel and north aisle of the Tudor restoration, a south porch, and a west tower set within the west end of the nave. The arcading has flattened Tudor arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps, there are C14 windows to the nave and coupled Tudor lights to the north aisle and chapel, a Perpendicular east window, and triple "domestic" windows to the chancel. There is a remarkable series of furnishings. A C18 wood reredos with coupled Doric fluted pilasters supporting a balustrade (all painted to imitate marble), enclosing a painting of cherubs in adoration. Panelling with bolection mouldings flanks the reredos: there is an Elizabethan altar table and a Jacobean communion rail. Two box pews (one the Squire's Pew) are in the chancel: three decker pulpit of C16 and C17 panelling. Late C17 west gallery with panelled front above four twisted oak pillars, approached by stairways from the panelled entrance beneath the tower. C12 octagonal font on a late C19 Gothic base. The Whyte monument between chancel and chapel comprises a C15 table tomb with shields (some with brass faces) in quatrefoils, and moulded slab with later inset brasses to the Whyte family, and a classical canopy (1566) with detached columns on pedestals, supporting gabled entablatures, and a central entablature with a pediment. Opposite, a three- panelled moulded stone frame contains plaques with the Arms of the Norton family. Two wall monuments in the chapel are dated 1748 and 1754 and the chapel altar is of panelled stone. A panel above the chancel beam contains the Prescriptions, and two on the front of the gallery are bequest boards: there is a hatchment west of the south door (leading to the former porch, now the vestry). Other fittings include two brass chandeliers, fragments of glass, and a carved Purbeck capitol of 'stiff-leaf' style.

Listing NGR: SU6264608510

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
146595
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02658/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].