Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:56:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 66021 25332



3/25 Church of St Mary


Church. Late C13 with C12 remains and late C14 tower with spire. Restored 1875. Sandstone rubble with tile roofs. Comprises a west tower, nave with north and south aisles, north porch, and lower chancel. The tower is of three stages with diagonal buttresses and a plain parapet. The west doorway is moulded and pointed. Above is a window of three lights with Perpendicular tracery under a pointed head. The west bell opening is of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil under a pointed head. The stone spire has moulded ribs at its angles. In the west wall of the north aisle there is a lancet window. The eastern window in the north aisle wall is late C13 and of two trefoiled lights. The other two windows, one to each side of the porch, are C19 lancets. The gabled porch has inner and outer chamfered - pointed doorways. The south aisle wall is of three bays. The eastern window is C14, of two cinquefoiled lights with quatrefoil under a pointed head. The other windows are C19 and of two lights. Between the first and second bays is the jamb and part of the head of a C12 doorway. The south wall of the chancel is of two bays and has windows of two trefoiled lights. Between them is a chamfered pointed priest's doorway. The north wall of the chancel has two windows, the western one a single lancet, the eastern one of two trefoiled lights under a pointed head. The east window is C19 and of three trefoiled lights under a pointed head. Interior: south arcade of three bays with pointed arches chamfered in two orders springing from round piers with moulded capitals and bases. The arches are late C13 except for the western one, which is late C14. The north arcade is of three bays and has plain round arches, the eastern one narrower and probably a C19 insertion. To the west is a length of blank wall, probably from an earlier tower. The late C12 second pier from the,east is round, has a scalloped capital and is too wide for the present arches. The tower arch is pointed and chamfered in three orders. The moulded responds have moulded capitals. The lower stage of the tower has a stone rib vault with a central hole for bell ropes. The chancel arch is pointed with continuous double chamfer. Over the nave is a collar rafter roof with soulaces, ashlar pieces, and four chamfered tie-beams. The chancel roof has rafters with curved braces to the collars and a longitudinal plate below the collars. Set into the east splay of the south-east window is a rough piscina. In the south wall is a recess with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head. Attached to the walls of the lower stage of the tower are various memorials, including one to John Elmehurst (died 1662) flanked by seated figures of women. (RCHM, p 119).

Listing NGR: SO6602125332


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 119


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08456/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian F. Squires. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].