CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167609.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:59:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- Knighton on Teme
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 63336 69913
SO 66 NW; 4/91
KNIGHTON ON TEME CP, KNIGHTON ON TEME
Church of St Michael
Parish church. C12, altered late C13 and C15; restored mid-C19 with further alterations in 1959 by Godwin and Greenway. Sandstone rubble and tufa with sandstone ashlar dressings, plain tiled roofs and timber bell tower with shingled turret. Nave with opposing doorways and extended to enclose bell- tower; two-bay chancel. Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
Nave: early C12, extended to west late C12 and again in C15 to enclose tower; chamfered plinth with string to late C12 part with pilaster buttresses at junction of early C12 and late C12 parts and also at east end; the south-east end buttress has been rebuilt. North elevation has a 2-light C13 window at its eastern end; west of this are two small C13 lancets and between them is the blocked north doorway; south elevation also has a 2-light window at its east end but it is much restored and there is a 2-light C15 square-headed window at the west. end; the central south doorway is similarly detailed to those at the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Eastham CP (qv) and the Church of St Andrew at Stockton on Teme CP (qv). It is tall and narrow with two round-arched orders, the outer enriched with a sunk star decoration and springing from plain shafts with cushion capitals; the inner order has two cable moulds and the east jamb is cut away for a stoup; there is an old studded door with some C20 repairs; above the door is a four-bay blind arcade, round-arched with engaged columns and enriched with mouldings now barely discernible. The C15 addition enclosing the tower is lower in height and has two lancets at its west end; in the south elevation is a pointed doorway and a square wall memorial with an illegible inscription. The bell-turret is a mid-C20 replacement and has a splayed square base and short pyramidal spire with a weathervane. Chancel: late C12; chamfered plinth and string; two round-headed C19 east windows with sill bands; north elevation has two C19 lancets; south elevation has pilaster buttresses at each end and also a later central buttress with offsets; east bay has a restored 2-light window of the C13 which has a hoodmould with returns; west bay has a pointed doorway and, adjacent to the nave, a rectangular light.
INTERIOR: C12 chancel arch similarly detailed to the south doorway; either side is a large round-arched recess with a two-bay blind arcade and engaged columns with cushion capitals; above each is a plain tympanum. The tower is separated from the nave by a C15 timber-framed partition with rendered brick infill; at the centre of the partition an ogee-headed doorway leads into the tower base, now used as a vestry and panelled with C18 box pews; narrow spaces either side of the vestry contain the massive posts and struts of the old tower framework. The nave roof has C15 arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses with V-struts in the apex; tie beams, purlins and wall plates are moulded and tie beams have central bosses; east end bay has a ceiling divided into compartments painted red and green, and brattished wall plates; chancel has a waggon roof. C19 piscina with cusped pointed head cut into south-east jamb of south-east chancel window; C18 altar rails with turned balusters; circular font with baluster stem; C19 octagonal pulpit; parish chest set against blocked north doorway. Memorials: east jamb of north-east nave window has small late C17 memorial surmounted by a large coat of arms to John Cecill, died 1697; numerous ledger slabs in chancel, mainly C18 and to members of the Milward family.
A large Norman church, its south doorway, chancel arch, tower framework and late medieval roof are of particular interest.
Listing NGR: SO6333769912
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 446-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 209
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing