CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1168041
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168041.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:36:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Sedgeberrow
National Grid Reference:
SP 02454 38514

Details

SEDGEBERROW CP MAIN STREET (south side) SO 0238 - 0338 8/144 23/1 Church of St Mary 30-7-59 - II

Parish church. Circa 1328-31 for Thomas of Evesham, restored 1866-8 by William Butterfield and extended in 1899. Coursed limestone rubble faced with limestone ashlar; stone-tiled roof laid in diminishing courses with an east gable-end parapet and gabled finial. West tower and continuous five- bay nave and chancel with north porch and south vestry. Decorated style. West tower: octagonal and of four stages with strings and chamfered plinth. There is a long slit window in the south face of the lowest stage, a similar louvred slit window in the west face and also a rectangular light in the north face of the second stage, and another rectangular light in the south- west face of the third stage. The belfry stage has four louvred rectangular bell-chamber openings, one in each main face. The ashlar spire rises directly from a hollowed cornice and has a roll moulding at each angle and a weathervane. Nave and chancel: continuous chamfered plinth, chamfered eaves cornice and hood- mould. Diagonal buttresses with offsets at corners and buttresses with offsets at bay divisions. There are four 2-light windows in both side elevations, the three easternmost windows are tall and narrow whilst the westernmost window is wider with round-headed lights surmounted by a large round-lobed trefoil. The east window is of five lights. North porch is gabled, has a gable-end parapet with a pointed head and end buttresses. It has a pointed doorway of two chamfered orders and a hoodmould with returns that are continued and stepped to form a moulded eaves cornice at the sides. The side elevations have 2-light chamfered mullioned windows with square heads. Within the pointed south door- way is of a single order and is similarly detailed with a hoodmould returning to form a moulded eaves cornice to the interior walls of the porch. There is a stoup in the west side wall of the porch. North vestry: dated 1899, and adjoins the second bay from west end. It has a gable-end parapet with a cross finial, a chamfered plinth and eaves cornice and diagonal south end buttresses with offsets. At the south gable end is a 3-light window with a hoodmould and in the gable apex is a chamfered datestone inscribed "1899". There is a narrow doorway with a hoodmould in the west side and three cusped lancets beneath a single hoodmould in the east side; beneath the windows steps lead down to a basement door. In the east angle with the chancel is a tall ashlar chimney stack. Interior: walls are plastered and there is a C19 wagon roof. The ornate painted and gilded reredos is recorded as being C14 but much restored. It has three recessed semi-hexagonal bays with vaulted canopies, cusped crocketted and finialed ogee arches, flanking pinnacled buttresses and similar taller outer buttresses set in the east window jambs. Either side of the reredos is a large stone corbel intended to support small statues. The piscina has an ogee-arched vaulted canopy similar to the reredos. The two sedilia are more simply detailed and C19. There is a C19 traceried arcaded chancel screen that reaches to wall- plate level and is surmounted by a trefoil frieze. In the south wall of the nave is a piscina that probably once resembled that in the chancel. The circular font and carved timber pulpit are C19. Memorials: on the north wall of the nave is an early C18 memorial to John Parsons, died 1713, with a segmental pediment and panelled pilasters. On the west wall are two oval memorials of the late C18 and early C19 and also a mid-C19 memorial. Glass: the east window is c1878 and by Mrs Barber, the vicar's wife. There is a fragment of medieval glass in the north chancel window. The church was very heavily restored in 1866-68 by William Butterfield at the expense of Mary Barber in memory of her late husband, the Rev Barber. (VCH, Vol 3, part 2, p 520-2; BoE, p 258-9).

Listing NGR: SP0245438514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148597
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 520-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 258-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15424/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].