CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1168425
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, STAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 13:29:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, STAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Rochford (District Authority)
Parish:
Stambridge
National Grid Reference:
TQ 89454 90736

Details

STAMBRIDGE STAMBRIDGE ROAD TQ 89 SE 6/298 Church of St. Mary and All Saints 27.7.59 II* Parish Church. Pre-Conquest nave and chancel, circa 1300 south aisle, much rebuilding C13 and C14 of chancel. C15 west tower and north porch. C19 north vestry and south organ chamber and heavy C19 retorations. Ragstone, flint, septaria, puddingstone and brick. Stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Small weatherboarded spire to west tower. Chancel, east wall buttressed at angles, C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred arch and label, rear splays and arch probably C14. North wall, western small 2-centred arch window, label over, above this window the traces of a pre-Conquest arch. Hipped roof to Cl9 polygonal north vestry, 2-centred arch to central doorway and similar small arches to side windows. South wall, C19 window of 2 pointed lights, under a 2-centred head. South aisle has 2 windows with a buttress between the organ chamber and its single window, boiler house to west, C19 aisle and organ chamber windows of 3 and 2 ogee lights respectively, segmental heads and labels. Nave, north wall has 3 windows, the eastern C13 much repaired with a square head, the other 2 probably C15 of 2 cinquefoiled lights under square heads, moulded labels. Between these windows is a late C14 doorway, moulded jambs and 2-centred head, moulded label, vertically boarded door, ornate iron hinges. North porch. C14/C15, timber framed, brick plinth. Chamfered 2-centred arch in a square moulded outer order. Of 2 bays, moulded arched braces to cambered tie beams, 2 armed crown posts. Stone and brick side seats, brick floor. The north wall of the Nave is of ragstone and puddingstone and is of pre-Conquest date, remains of 2 windows can be traced in the wall and an off-set carried through from the chancel about 3 metres from ground level. West tower, renewed red brick crenellations. Stone and flint chequerwork plinth. Of 3 stages, buttressed to and with band below the top stage. Bell chamber, north and south faces have each a single light 2-centred window with moulded label, east and west faces have each 3 similar lights. West window C15 of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, 2-centred head and label. C15 west doorway, chamfered jambs, 2-centred head and label, nailed plank and muntin door with strap hinges. Niche to south of west door, chamfered jambs, 4-centred head, probably C15. The interior is much restored. C19 chancel roof of 4 bays, hammerbeams supported by head corbels, side purlin ridge board structure. Nave roof similar of 4 bays. C19 coloured tiled floors throughout. C20 marble reredos, C19 stained glass to windows. Piscina, moulded ogee head and jambs, fluted bowl resting on a human head. Low seat window to west of Piscina. North doorway into vestry circa 1350. No chancel arch, semi-octagonal responds with foliate capitals. Nave:- Wooden semi-octagonal pulpit with carved tracery. Archway to rood loft staircase to north west wall. Piscina to west wall, circa 1300. South arcade of 3 bays, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, 2-centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders. C15 octagonal font, one side blank, the others with a quatrefoil enclosing flowers or shields of arms. West wall memorial to John Harriot of Broomhills, Stambridge. Brass on north wall to John Winthrop married here in 1605 to Mary Forth he sailed to America 1630 in the "Arabella" and became the first Governor of Boston, Massachusetts. C20 stained glass window of the Arabella subscribed by the Winthrop family in America. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8945490736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
123279
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].