SOUTH ORMSBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1168647
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
SOUTH ORMSBY HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH ORMSBY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168647.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:54:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH ORMSBY HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
South Ormsby cum Ketsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 36732 75520

Details

SOUTH ORMSBY CUM KETSBY off MAIN STREET TF 37 NE (west side) 1/28 South Ormsby Hall 3.2.67 G.V. II*

Country house. C17, but largely rebuilt 1752-5 by James Paine, for the Massingberd-Mundy family. Enlarged and altered c.1803 by P. Atkinson, altered C19 and C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, with ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof with lead dressings behind brick parapet. 2 storey plus basement, 3 bay entrance front, with advanced facetted central bay. The original Paine design had a huge pediment the full width of the front. This was removed C19 when a third storey was added. This was removed c.1920 when the present brick parapet was built. Ashlar coped plinth, first floor cill band and parapet band. Central half glazeddoor with semi-circular arch covered by ashlar Roman Doric porch of 1803, with fluted frieze. The sides of the central bay contain single glazing bar sashes with cornices. It is flanked by single 3 light tripartite C19 sashes with fluted friezes, replacing the original Venetian windows, set in the original semi-circular headed niches. To the first floor are 5 glazing bar sashes with flat brick arches, 2 are set in the facetted sides of the central bay. The left hand garden front is of 4 bays, with the right hand bay being canted, with glazing bar sashes to each side. The remaining 3 bays have tall sashes with deep cills, sitting on an ashlar plinth course. The basement and first floor have glazing bar sashes in a similar pattern. Interior. Entrance hall has classical busts on brackets, flanked by garlands, dentillated cornice and fireplace on scrolled brackets with egg and dart mouldings. In the Dining Room is full height plaster panelling. In the Drawing Room a fine Roccoco ceiling with centre piece of musical instruments with scrolls of flowers and garlands. Decorated joinery, marble fireplace with central rustic panel. Geometric square stair with well, moulded handrail and beaded moulding, to newels also, large balusters with fluted tops and heavily moulded knops, carved string. To landing guilloche surround, semi-circular headed niches and rectangular insets. Library of 1803 phase with fluted pilasters and guilloche moulding to shelves, fine grisaille panels above. Panelled doors, reveals, overdoors and cornices, throughout. Source: Nattes drawing of 1793 in Banks Collection. Country Life, March 1969.

Listing NGR: TF3673275520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196094
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in March, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03666/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].