CHURCH OF ST GREGORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1169302
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY, NORTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169302.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:09:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GREGORY, NORTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Heckingham
National Park:
THE BROADS
National Grid Reference:
TM 38437 98845

Details

HECKINGHAM NORTON ROAD TM 39 NE 6/28 Church of St. Gregory 5.9.60 - I

Parish church. Fabric mainly of C12 and C13 with C15 porch. Flint with lime- stone dressings; thatched roofs. West tower, nave, apsidal chancel, north aisle, south porch. West tower with C12 round base with later octagonal upper stage of knapped flint with brick quoins. Stone-dressed lancet bell openings with single plain chamfer. Lower lancet in west side and single light west window with square brick drip mould. C15 south porch incorporating much brick: four centred arch of moulded brick with engaged shafts. Square drip mould with shields in spandrels; blocked niche above. Blocked east and west porch windows with square drip moulds; remains of cusping in east window. South wall of nave has one 3-light C15 window with blocked heads to tracery, and one lancet. Chancel has apsidal east end with ashlar pilaster-buttresses dividing bays; 2-light south window with rendered brick 'Y' tracery under a shallow arched head; south-east bay contains an early C19 memorial tablet and a lancet with its opening reduced. East window of 2-lights, Decorated, with square head. Small lancet in north-east bay; 2-light north window with cusped ogee heads. East and west windows of north aisle c.1300 with inter- secting and 'Y' tracery. North aisle wall much rebuilt in brick: two lancets, now with square heads, and a 2-light 'Y' tracery window. Remains of C12 north doorway with west side shaft and capital and zigzag moulded inner arch; opening blocked in red brick. Very fine C12 south doorway with four orders of shafts with decorated cushion capitals and reel, zigzag, bobbin, star and wheel motifs in arches and hood mould. Interior: crudely-formed north arcade of three bays, pointed arches with plain chamfer continuous around the square piers; no capitals or imposts. Chancel ceiling plastered and coved. Nave and aisle roofs with roll-moulded principals with arch-braces on wall posts. Nave ceiling boarded. Double-chamfered chancel arch on poly- gonal responds. Recess for rood stair in south-east corner of nave. North aisle windows have deeply splayed and arched internal reveals with stepped or dropped cills. Raised area of floor at east end of aisle with paving incorporating medieval tiles and a memorial slab to Mary, daughter of John and Elizabeth Crow (d.1666). North aisle partly paved with stone coffin slabs and C17 memorials to the Crowe family, including another to Mary, daughter of John and Elizabeth Crowe (d.1659). North aisle has corbels on south side for earlier wall plate at lower level. Font, probably C12, with plain square bowl on octagonal stem with square base and four corner shafts with volute capitals all set on two square risers with chamfered edges.

Listing NGR: TM3843798845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227030
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12924/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steven Algar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].