CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1169952
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, LONG LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169952.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:05:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, LONG LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Honing
National Grid Reference:
TG 32588 28002

Details

HONING LONG LANE TG 32 NW (west side) 6/60 Church of St. Peter 16.4.55 and St. Paul - II*

Parish church. C15, rebuilt 1795. Knapped flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses with flushwork panelling. Flushwork trefoiled arcade to plinth. Wave moulded arched west doorway blocked with 3-light intersecting window of 1795. Above is tall late C15 transomed 3-light panel traceried west window. Square ringing chamber windows with cusped ogee tracery. 2- light Perpendicular belfry windows below crenellated flushwork parapet. Polygonal stair turret at north-east corner. Stepped aisle buttresses. C15 gabled south porch with blocked side windows. Wave moulded outer doorway with arch on semi-circular responds. Wave moulded inner doorway below hood mould on labels. Dentiled eaves cornice to porch and nave of 1795. All remaining windows 1795 and intersecting : 4 to south aisle and one to north aisle, all of 3 lights. Single bay chancel of 1795 with 3-light east window. Brick repairs to north aisle buttresses. Interior. 5 bay arcade of elongated octagonal piers 1795 standing upon altered Perpendicular bases. Arcades moved north and south from original positions, increasing width of nave and reducing that of aisles. 4-centred wave moulded arches. Roof of 1795 : tie beams on straight braces, King posts with struts to principals, one tier taper-tenoned butt purlins. Tall C15 tower arch with semi-circular responds and continous wave mouldings. Similar chancel arch, the wave mouldings enriched by additional hollow. Octagonal C15 font with traceried stem and 8 animal and grotesque heads supporting plain chamfered bowl. Bowl reduced in height and now topped with octagonal C13 Purbeck marble bowl with 2 incised pointed arches to each facet. North chancel arch pier retains stilted doorway to rood stairs. Good late C13 angle piscina in chancel with trefoiled arch supporting 3 encircled quatrefoils.

Listing NGR: TG3258828002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224275
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06094/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].