Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of OLD SHUTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 14:05:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 25244 97412


SY 29 NE SHUTE SHUTE VILLAGE 10/482 14.12.55 Old Shute House, previously listed as "Shute Barton" GV I

Survival of a substantial medieval manor house. Built partly circa 1380 by Sir William Bonville, Sheriff of Dorset, Somerset and Devon. The extensions of late C15 by the Greys, the Marquesses of Dorset and of the late C16 were largely demolished in 1785 when Sir John Pole built Shute House qv.

Large stone rubble house with slate roofs and embattled parapets. U-shaped on plan arranged around a courtyard. Three and two storey ranges. The original south east wing of circa 1380 has the kitchen on the ground floor with hall above. The north east wing is of circa late C15 with a polygonal stair turret at the north end and buttressed on the north east side when extensions were demolished in 1785. The south west two storey gatehouse wing was built or much altered in C15 and forms the third side of the courtyard. The square tower on the south east side of the southeast wing is probably part of the late C15 additions, although the windows are C16 and C17. Most of the other windows are of C15, C16 and C17.

Interior: south east wing: first floor hall roof has arched braces to collar beams and curved wind braces. The hall floor has been raised and an extra storey inserted. Newel-stair to hall in angle turret in courtyard. Kitchen has great hearth at south end and C15 screen. North east wing contains fine panelled first floor room of circa 1660 with a contemporary chimneypiece and large cupboard.

Reference: Country Life Volume 109, pages 326 and 398.

Listing NGR: SY2524497410


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 109, (), 326 398


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Dec 2003
Reference: IOE01/11669/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Andrew Salmon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].