CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1171431
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, KIRKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171431.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:02:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, KIRKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Holme Next the Sea
National Grid Reference:
TF 70704 43429

Details

TF 74 SW HOLME-NEXT-THE-SEA KIRKGATE (north)

2/26 Church of St. Mary.

5/6/53 I

Parish church. Perpendicular tower, body of church replaced 1778, chancel partly Perpendicular. Tower squared and knapped flint with stone dressings, nave cut-stone, chancel cemented with stone dressings, C20 concrete pantiled roofs. Built by Henry of Nottingham, a judge and member of the Council of the Duchy of Lancaster under Henry IV (1399-1413), but only elaborate tower and chancel survive. 4 storey tower. Porch forms ground-floor, with 3 orders and elaborate hollowed and chamfered arch set within square frame with tracery in sprandrels. Star vault with bosses, corner columns, stone benches to east and west, brick dressed window reveals, Perpendicular door with niche above. Plinth, angle buttresses on south face, parts of buttresses at right angles to north face. First floor has 4 2-light mullioned and transomed windows with swept hood-mould with cross, internally boarded. Second floor with tracery sound-hole window, third floor with 3-light traceried belfry window to each face, brick battlements, 4 stone spirelet finials. East and west face ground floor 2-light Perpendicular windows, single lancet to first floor, and rectangular lights to internal stairs. North face with simplified 2-light belfry window. Nave of 3 bays with 2 straight headed windows of Gothic inspiration, central round headed window all of 3 lights with mullions. Stone plinth and modillion eaves cornice. Chancel partly of early C15, blocked south window and priest's door, sill only of further blocked window, 2 south and 2 east angle buttresses. East window 1778, stone sill, imposts and key- stone, metal glazing bars and arched fanlight head. 2 C20 wedge buttresses. North face of nave blank, c.1840 Gothick vestry pebble flint with brick dressings north of chancel. Interior : springing of embrasure of original west window now built into north west angle of tower. C20 lobby connects tower and 1778 west front, with simple classical door. Nave 1778 with C19 roof. Perpendicular chancel arch. South side of chancel with simple Decorated 3 arch sedilia with columns, double arched piscina of c.1300. A painted royal arms of 1779 over south priest's door, and carved, pre-1802 Royal Arms over vestry door. Alabaster wall monument with kneeling figures on 2 rows, obelisks and central roundel, 1607. Early C15 brass to Henry of Nottingham and his wife "have yat maden this church steeple and quere". High Victorian stone pulpit and font. 3-light stained west window mid C19. Date 1778 of rebuilding and initials of church wardens above.

Listing NGR: TF7070443429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221208
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04148/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian John Beales. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].