Briantspuddle War Memorial
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1171702
Date first listed: 02-Oct-1984
Date of most recent amendment: 14-Oct-2016
Statutory Address: Bladen Valley, Briantspuddle, Purbeck, Dorset
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1171702 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:14:51.
Statutory Address: Bladen Valley, Briantspuddle, Purbeck, Dorset
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Purbeck (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SY8128293289
First World War memorial, 1916-1918, by Eric Gill.
Reasons for Designation
Briantspuddle War Memorial, situated at Bladen Valley, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: by the nationally renowned sculptor, Eric Gill, with slim-shafted cross with unusual renderings of Christ with sword and canopied Madonna with Child; * Sculptural interest: Eric Gill is considered to be one of the most gifted sculptors and lettercutters of the C20. His unusual rendering of traditional imagery, combined with their enshrinement beneath arches that protrude from opposite sides of the otherwise simple cross shaft (at differing heights), make this a particularly interesting war memorial; * Historic association: the war memorial was commissioned to be a centrepiece for the Bladen Estate smallholdings project, and was connected with his brother MacDonald Gill’s earlier appointment to design the houses; * Group value: with the listed buildings of the MacDonald Gill estate.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Briantspuddle as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was commissioned by Sir Ernest Debenham, Bart. The Debenhams bought an estate here from the Frampton family in 1914, and developed it as the Bladen Estate, an experimental agricultural community of smallholdings. His aspirations for the village included quality design, building in the local style and using local materials. He had engaged the architect, MacDonald Gill, to design the village and, shortly after, he commissioned MacDonald Gill’s brother, Eric Gill, to design and sculpt a memorial to the seven local casualties of the First World War.
Eric Gill (1882-1940) was one of the most celebrated lettercutters, engravers, typographers and sculptors of his time. Before the First World War he built his reputation on his work as a lettercutter and engraver, but began to sculpt in 1909, preferring the unconventional direct carving style of practice. After the First World War he was commissioned to design war memorials including those at Bisham, Chirk, Leeds University, South Harting and Trumpington. His work later included large architectural sculptures, including figures for the exterior of Broadcasting House and a large relief entitled The Creation of Adam at the League of Nations Palace, Geneva.
The Briantspuddle memorial was intended to be a focal point for the model village. Gill received the commission in April 1915. Drawings for the memorial were produced between May and August 1915 (the earlier very different to the final memorial). The memorial was constructed between 14 February 1917 and 28 August 1918 (when the inscription was finished, including seven names of local First World War casualties). It is likely that the whole cost of the memorial was met by Sir Ernest Debenham. Because it was an early commission, it was possible to unveil it the day after the Armistice, on 12 November 1918. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Salisbury.
Six Second World War casualty names were added later. In 2012, War Memorials Trust gave a grant for conservation of the memorial.
Brianspuddle War Memorial comprises a slender, tapering Portland stone shaft standing c 7.5m tall surmounted by a small square cross. On the north face of the shaft is a sculpted figure of Christ with a downward pointed sword in his left hand, the right hand raised, showing stigmata. The figure stands on a small ledge and beneath a small canopy. Lower down, touching the pedestal and on the south face of the shaft, is a seated figure of the Madonna suckling Christ. This figure also stands on a ledge, which forms part of the pedestal, and is beneath a canopy bearing a relief carving of the Agnus Dei and supported by small Purbeck columns. The pedestal bears the inscriptions and names, which are on inset panels, giving the impression of the names being framed by a triple-colonnade of Romanesque arches on each face. The pedestal stands on a four-stepped tiered plinth surrounded by paving.
The principal inscription encircles the plinth and reads on the north face IT IS SOOTH THAT SIN IS CAUSE OF ALL THIS PAIN / R I P / (NAMES), and continues on the west face with BUT ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL SHALL BE WELL and continues on the south face with AND ALL MANNER OF THING SHALL BE WELL.
The east face reads TO THOSE WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 1919 / (NAMES). There are seven First World War names in total. Six Second World War casualties were later added to the south face, where 1939 1945 was added below the original First World War inscription. The quotation is C15 from Julian of Norwich.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 7 December 2016.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 108474
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Collins, J, Eric Gill: The Sculpture. A Catalogue Raisonné, (1998)
Collins, J, Eric Gill: Sculpture, (1992)
MacCarthy, F, Eric Gill, (1989)
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 December 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121582
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 March 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/927
War Memorials Trust, accessed 25 March 2016 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=894
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing