- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- POSTLIP HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172261 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:36:12.
- Statutory Address:
- POSTLIP HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 99867 26855
SO 92 NE WINCHCOMBE POSTLIP
2/170 Postlip Hall
Large detached country house, now in six occupations. Substantially C17, but possibly some C16 work. Much restoration 1878/79. Mainly limestone ashlar, stone slate roofs. A plan of accretion, the oldest wing seems to be that facing north-east to which slightly later was added a substantial gabled wing facing south-east, thus forming an L-plan; later, including in Victorian times, extensions were made so as to enclose an irregular cen- tral courtyard. There is a central hall in the south-east wing, approached by a door at one end, in the traditional medieval way, but without screens now. North east wing two storeys and attic, 7+3-windowed; 7+1 2-light case- ment dormers, 3-light mullioned casements first floor, the right-hand three windows at a higher level than the remainder, over a cill band, are 2+1+2- light respectively. At ground floor various casements, including two with arched Tudor heads to lights. Moulded string over ground floor lights 3-7 inclusive steps up to become cill band to right. Various stacks in 2 or 3 flues, with moulded capping, frieze, and skirt; some ornamental Victorian pots. The south-east front is 5+1 saddle-back coped gables, the right gable, at the termination of the return wing, with a carved sheep as finial; 2½ storeys, in gables 1-5 3-light ovolo mould casements under stopped drips, in gable 6 similar window, but moulded string above, not stopped drip. In bays 1,3,5 and 6, two-storey hexagonal bays with moulded string courses at first and second floors in bays 1-5 large mullioned and transomed casements, including king mullions to 4-light central sections; the ground floor windows also with iron armatures alternately inside and outside the glazing. In bay 5 arched doorway with Victorian plank door and strap hinges and inner Victorian 4-centred doorway. Three 2½ storey gables return, left, similar detailing. Various ashlar stacks with cappings frieze and skirt. Inside the courtyard, east corner, some light C16 half- timbered work. INTERIOR: the Hall mainly stripped of former panelling - was used in C19 as a farm store; the room over as granary. Room over the Hall very fine C17 panelling, referred to as 'Cromwellian Room', may have been at some time a chapel. In ground floor right 3x3 heavy moulded com- partment ceiling, heavily strapped up; at opposite end of south-east wing, ground floor, some good Jacobean panelling and fireplace dated 1614, and above this room a fine stone fireplace and panelling with frieze. In the north corner, in oldest part of house, an open-ceiled room revealing very heavy roof ties and various stays. One stone spiral stair remains. Much modification has occurred in this spendid house, and in the early 1860s it was already occupied by four tenants - bailiff, carter and shepherd included - and the central section used for farm purposes. (Oakey, J : Reminiscences of Winchcombe, 1936 and 1971). Photographs, principally of exterior, in NMR.
Listing NGR: SO9986126872
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Oakey, J, Reminiscences of Winchcombe, (1971)
Oakey, J, Reminiscences of Winchcombe, (1937)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing