Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1172571

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1955

Statutory Address: PAINSWICK LODGE


Ordnance survey map of PAINSWICK LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:32:52.


Statutory Address: PAINSWICK LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Painswick

National Grid Reference: SO8813710749


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PAINSWICK SO 81 SE 2/11 Painswick Lodge 21.10.55 GV I Manor house. Possibly rebuilt c1400, residence of the Lords of the Manor from 1530-1800. Much modified over the centuries, much work of C16 and C17, and wings removed in 1840; C20 restoration by Sidney Bamsley. Mostly small rubble limestone, but some larger cut stone in early (west) wing, stone slate roofs. A major mediaeval house with great hall and formerly a courtyard building, but now has two wings only, to west and north; porch entry on south side of north wing entering the hall, now ceiled. North wing two storeys, attic and part basement returns for short section at same height to lower west wing. Various windows in 4 bays; at ground floor are three 2-light mullioned casements with hoods and stops, all modified from former C16 4-light with arched tops rich moulded, above is, left, a large 4-light with transom, and three 2-light with transom, all stone mullioned but with no hoods, and four unevenly spaced 2-light hipped dormers corresponding with first floor window positions. At ground floor, to right of bay 3, a gabled porch with 4-centre doorway in moulded surround and square dropped hood [3] plank door; far left to blocked doorway with moulded surround, under hood; this may have been original screens entry, judging from the plan. The short return, left, has a small 2-light mullioned casement above a single and a double light with C16 arched heads under a drip course. Left of this the lower wing is in 2 storeys with, at ground floor, two large openings with segmental heads, formerly doorways of open ways; between them a 2-light flush chamfer mullion casement, and to the right a C20 door; at first floor a 3-light ovolo mould casement and a 2-light C14 window with cusping. To the south front windows mainly ovolo mould; also, between windows one and two a buttress with two offsets. Right return of this wing has diagonal corner buttresses with two offsets: at ground floor a 2-light C16 casement, formerly in 4 lights, with stopped hood, above is 4-light with king mullion and transom, with hood, and to gable a 2-light ovolo mould casement with hood. North front, facing lane, has two eaves stacks, one with offsets, and a large external gable stack with offsets, right. A further projecting gabled units projects between first two stacks. Various 2, 3, or 4-light casements with chamfer mould, and one 2-light ovolo mould, in projecting gable, above 3 single lights; the right gable stack is flanked, at ground floor level, by 2-light casements which cut into the masonry of the stack. West front has, far left, a projecting stair turret to hipped roof, then a 2-light casement in basket-handle head with stopped hood and a 2-light hollow mould under a C20 four-light with transom. Deep projecting doing dairy block with gable stack. To right a lofty 2-light casement with cusped tracery and a small single light; at first floor a 3-light ovolo mould mullion, in part concealed by the later dairy, and a 2-light flush hollow mould. Two offset buttresses. To right a possible garde-robe tower with small rectangular light beneath a pointed and cusped opening; at ground floor is a 2-light opening cut from a single stone. Coped verge and stack. South front of this wing has 4-light casement over a doorway, 4-light, and single light. Interior: the house has had a complex history, with additions and demolitions, and in the early C20 was considerably sub-divided. In 1924 Sidney Barnsley undertook major restoration, and some of the interior detail is by him, but in careful detail and craftsmanship so as to be not easily distinguishable from original work. The main wing has a central hall or parlour with 8-panel compartmental ceiling to moulded beams, a large stone fire-surround to ovolo- mould edge, and a stone Tudor doorway; the dining room, adjoining, has C17 panelling and frieze, 4-panel compartmental ceiling, and a stone doorway with 4-centre head giving to the stone spiral stair, at the head of which is a second similar doorway. The old lower wing contains a good chamfer surround fireplace to very flat 4-centre head; over the early pointed openings in the courtyard wall are 3 heavy stone corbels. First floor main bedroom has complete C17 panelling for two-thirds height. Roof not inspected. A house with a complex history of ownership and development, which seems to have been a Lodge to the Deer Park. (St Claire Baddeley, History of Painswick, 18929.)

Listing NGR: SO8813710749


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 133187

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
St Claire Baddeley, W , History of Painswick, (1929)

End of official listing