OMBERSLEY COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1172877
Date first listed:
25-Dec-1952
Statutory Address:
OMBERSLEY COURT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1172877.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 03:23:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
OMBERSLEY COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ombersley
National Grid Reference:
SO 84189 63389

Details

SO 8463 OMBERSLEY CP -

9/70 Ombersley Court

25.12.52 GV I

Country house in landscaped park; seat of Lord Sandys. 1724-32 by Francis Smith of Warwick for the first Lord Sandys; refaced and altered by J Webb for the Marchioness of Downshire 1812/14; further mid-C20 alterations. Brick with stone dressings, refaced in ashlar, with ashlar additions. Original house of two storeys and attic and seven bays with north and south wings; Webb refaced this house, demolished the side wings and built a new north wing to link the house with the new stables quad- rangle (qv); this wing was demolished in the mid-C20. Present east front elevation: three storeys with moulded cornice and blocking course, plinth and sill bands to first and second floors; seven bays: 2:3:2, central bays break forward; ground floor windows are 15-pane sashes, first floor windows are glazing bar sashes and second floor windows are 6-pane sashes; ground floor of central bays has tetrastyle portico of coupled Ionic columns; central doorway has moulded architrave and part-glazed double doors. Side and rear elevations are without specific ornamentation. Interior: Access refused description based on written sources; very splendid, retaining much of its early Georgian decoration and woodwork. Entrance Hall: two storeys with gallery facing entrance and connecting upper rooms; lower part has Ionic pilasters and blank niches; opposing stone fireplaces surmounted by heraldic devices; ceiling divided into compartments with four pendants in arches. Saloon: situated beside hall with windows facing west; oak panelled with pilasters, fine door surround and marble chimney piece. Dining room and rose boudoir to left and right of saloon also oak panelled, with pilasters of different orders, marble fireplaces and all superbly detailed. The main staircase is also of the Smith period, and is of oak with handrail, treads and landings inlaid with walnut; open-well type, each step has three balusters, two spirals with a fluted columnar one in between, moulded tread ends, handrail and dado; above is a contemporary plaster ceiling with oval moulding and rich modillion cornice. Chinese Room: on first floor has painted silk panels framed with. imitation bamboo, drapes and appropriate furnishings, fashionable during Regency. The house is decorated throughout with a magnificent collection of paintings and furnishings still owned by the Sandys family. In the Court grounds are some remarkable specimen trees including two immense Wellingtonias and the second largest European Larch in the British Isles. (CL, cxiii, 34, 94, 152; VCH, BoE).

Listing NGR: SO8418963389

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
147964
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 113, (), 34,94,152

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].