CHAPEL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1173280
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL HOUSE, B6160

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173280.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 00:41:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL HOUSE, B6160

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Conistone with Kilnsey
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 97565 66588

Details

SD 96 NE CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY B6160 (west side,off) Kilnsey

16/55 Chapel House

10.9.54

- II

Country house, now hotel. 1783 for John Tennant, with Cl7 remains and mid C20 additions and restoration. Coursed thin limestone blocks, ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof. 2-storey, 3-bay main range 3 bays deep, with a west wing containing earlier remains, converted to service rooms. Stressed quoins. Main range: central half-glazed door with radial glazed fanlight in shouldered architrave with triangular pediment. Flanking tripartite flat-faced mullion windows to both storeys, the central lights with glazing bar sashes flanked by 8-pane sashes. A sash with glazing bars above the door. All with slightly raised surrounds and projecting sills. Stone gutter brackets, shallow parapet, hipped roof and 2 corniced ridge stacks flanking the entrance. C20 addition to rear, not of special interest. Left return: central recessed bay with Venetian stair window to first floor. Right return: three tripartite windows to each floor, as front. Interior: a central hall flanked by principal rooms, that to left with a bolection-moulded stone fireplace and a moulded ceiling cornice. 6-panel doors. A staircase lit by the Venetian window at the end of the entrance hall has a cantilevered stone stair and fine column and vase balustrade with moulded handrail. West wing, south side: of 4 bays, bay 2 projecting and having restored C17 fenestration. 2 doors to bay 3, that to left dated 1768; a large 4-light mullion and transom window far right, the mullions flat-faced with a reeded surround. The house is named after the supposed site of a chapel belonging to Kilnsey Grange, part of the Fountains Abbey estate. The Tennant family came into posession of the estate in 1572, continuing so until 1900. The Vicar of Burnsall lived there from 1841-75. Yorkshire Vernacular Building Study Group, Report No. 956, 1983

Listing NGR: SD9756566588

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324642
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 956, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12805/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Alison Claybourne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].