CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1173613
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 20:41:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Cheddar
National Grid Reference:
ST 45960 53017

Details

ST45SE 6/112

CHEDDAR CP CHURCH STREET (West side) Church of St Andrew



GI Parish church. Coursed and squared rubble, lead roofs, coped verges. C14, C15, restored in 1873 by William Butterfield. Nave with clerestory, short chancel clasped by large north and south chapels, north and south aisles, the latter with a further chapel and porch, north porch, tall west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular, some Decorated features.Three stage tower with diagonally connected set-back buttresses ascending to shafts and pinnacles; parapet pierced with quatrefoils, stair turret with a pinnacle; triple two-light bell-chamber windows to third stage, that to centre louvred, those flanking blank; large four-light west window above a door, above two figures of the Annunciation in niches; interior of the tower with a lierne vault. Further similar pierced parapets to nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacles. Decorated two-light clerestory windows, three-light Perpendicular aisle windows, further large Perpendicular windows to chapels east window of the restoration. Interior with C14 aisles of five and one half bays, further C14 arches to north and south chapels; later elaborate panelled arch to south aisle chapel incorporating three figures in the respond; chancel arch of the restoration.C14 roofs to nave and north and south aisles with colouring and gilding by Butterfield, similar treatment to C19 wagon-roof to chancel. Painted C15 stone pulpit, chancel with restored C13 piscina. C19 parclose screens to north and south chapels probably incorporating earlier work. C15 carved bench ends, particularly in north aisle. Painting in south aisle chapel of C17 by Jan Erasmus Quellinus, Christ at Emains; this chapel also with some C15 stained glass; further C19 stained glass. Altar table of 1631, chest tomb in chancel to sir Thomas Cheddar of 1442 with a brass, further brass to his lady of 1474 at its base; opposite the remains of a further chest tomb. Early C14 font with a C17 cover. Large paintings of 1810 under tower, time and death, previously flanked chancel arch, probably moved at the time of the restoration. C17 chest. Peal of eight bells, earliest probably pro-Reformation. Some C19 wall monuments. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4596253017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268768
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01539/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Barry Lane. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].