MOOR PARK AND ORANGERY/STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1173698
Date first listed:
26-Jul-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
MOOR PARK AND ORANGERY/STABLE BLOCK, MOOR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOOR PARK AND ORANGERY/STABLE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173698.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:30:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOOR PARK AND ORANGERY/STABLE BLOCK, MOOR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Three Rivers (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 07458 93316

Details

RICKMANSWORTH MOOR PARK TQ 0793 Rickmansworth 14/191 Moor Park and 26.7.51 Orangery/Stable Block (Formerly listed as Moor Park with entrance gate and GV lodges)

Country House, now golf club house. The Duke of Monmouth's late C17 house as rebuilt 1720-8 by Sir J. Thornhill for B. Styles. 1728-30 work supervised by G. Leoni. Altered 1751-4 by M. Brettingham for Lord Anson, 1763-5 by R. Adam for Sir L. Dundas, c.1830 by R. Cundy II for the Marquess of Westminster and 1849 by W. Burn for Lord Ebury. Wings removed 1785. Portland stone casing of earlier brick building. Slate hipped roofs. Baroque/Palladian Style. 11 bays with 5 bay returns. Corinthian Order. 2 storeys and attic. 4:3:4 front. Steps up to central colossal pedimented tetrastyle portico. Moulded coffered soffit. Ground floor tall round headed key blocked windows, banded rustication. Central entrance with secondary entrance in 2nd bay from right. First floor 8 pane sashes in architraves with cornices and panels below sills. 4 pane attic windows in architraves. Colossal pilasters to 3 central bays and to each pair of outer bays and at return ends. In pediment are arms of Lord Ebury. Balustraded parapet with piers to each bay. Plain parapet with central stack behind pediment. Garden front as principal front but portico is engaged, projecting slightly. Basement with forecourt balustrade, steps up to centre. 7 central ground floor windows are full height without moulded sills as to outer bays which are in shallower reveals. Right return has a terrace over basement with oeil-de-boeuf openings. Left return has a balustraded wall before a projecting basement. From left front a low, cement rendered 8 bay quadrant link with plain piers and open panels to Orangery and Stable Block, now shop and offices. Rebuilt in C19 following C18 model. Ashlar. Engaged Ionic Order. 8 bays face house: full height round headed glazing bar windows, banded rustication with key blocks. Balustraded parapet closed. End bays slightly set back and canted away. To left a distyle portico in antis to recess with 2 panelled doors. Left return, 1:3:1, round arched headed windows, central carriageway to inner yard. Paired pilasters flank outer bays. Inserted attic windows; Garden front: 8 bay, 1 storey rusticated block. Blind round arches. Panelled door to right of centre, semi-circular fanlight, pilastered jambs, further similar 3 and 4 bay elevations. Interior: cubic hall c.1730 with gallery and trompe l'oeil dome, abundant Baroque decoration, paintings by J. Amiconi, plasterwork by Artari and Bagutti. Saloon preserved from C17 house, ceiling by Verrio, wall panels c.1730 by F. Sleter. Dining Room c.1763 probably by R. Adam with ceiling decoration of 1769 by Cipriani. Open well stair probably by G. Leoni, top-lit in 1763 with grisailles by F. Sleter dated 1732, and paintings probably by J. Amiconi. Italian garden of c.1830 to NE. Old Pleasure Grounds originally laid out by Capability Brown c.1753 to SE (q.q.v.). (Country Life 6 and 13/1/1912: Colvin 1954: C. Hussey, English Country Houses, Early Georgian, 1955: T.P. Hudson, 'Moor Park, Leoni and Sir J. Thornhill', Burlington Magazine, vol.113, Nov.1971: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0745893316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158835
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954)
Hussey, C, English Country Houses Early Georgian 1715-1760, (1955)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Burlington Magazine' in Burlington Magazine, , Vol. 113, (1971)
'Country Life' in 13 January, (1912)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 6, ()
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12852/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Carl Shillito. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].