CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1173837
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Dec-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1173837.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:48:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Nettlecombe
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
ST 05683 37749

Details

ST03NE NETTLECOMBE CP

5/29 Church of St Mary the Virgin (previously listed as Church of St Mary)

22.5.69

GV I

Parish church. C13-C14, West tower rebuilt mid C15, South aisle rebuilt late C15, porch and North aisle circa 1536, North chapel 1531-4, church restored circa 1820-1, clerestory added, chancel altered and vestry added 1858 and 1870. Architects, early C19 Richard Carver, later work by C E 6iles under direction of James Babbage. Red sandstone random rubble, squared and coursed on vestry and chancel, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, clerestoried 4 bay nave, North and South aisles, North porch, chancel with North chapel, South vestry with organ chamber. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, 2-light louvred bell openings, clock face West front, 3-light West window, moulded arched West door, octagonal crenellated stair turret North-west corner. 2-light window West end of South aisle, similar 2-light in outer bays flanking 2 gabled projections lit by quatrefoil openings, 2-light East end of aisle with C13 hexagonal coffin lid with raised cross inset to South, trefoil headed lancet lighting rood loft, C19 arched door and 2-light window to vestry, lancet to chancel and 3-light East window also C19, 4-light cinquefoil headed hollow chamfered mullioned window under hood mould East end of chapel, stepped buttresses to East and North fronts, North front similar 3- and 2-light mullioned windows with 4-light windows flanking gabled single storey porch, moulded arched entrance, open wagon roof, moulded 4-centred arch doorway, C19 decorative spandrels, C19 door, 3-light window West end North aisle. Interior: rendered. Victorian open timber roofs, except for C16 wagon roof vault in South aisle. Victorian chancel arch, tower arch chamfered in 3 orders. Standard Perpendicular arcades with foliage capitals, similar 2-bay arcade between chancel and chapel. Norman style 2-light clerestory windows to nave. Recesses with rib vaulting and corbel heads in South aisle containing effigies presumed to be of Sir John Ralegh and his first wife Maud, mid C14, and the other a chain mail knight of circa 1260, reset C19. Black and white marble wall tablet to Lady Trevelyan, died 1697, another by T King of Bath to John Oatway with a sorrowing figure beside an urn. Tomb slab in South aisle to John Trevelyan, died 1623. Large tomb slab resting against wall in west tower to Richard Musgrave, died 1686, fine lettering. Screen to West end dated 1848, gallery above with sore reset C16 panelling. 4 bay rood screen, late C15 restored C19. Good late C15 octagonal font carved with The Seven Sacrments. Some C16 bench ends reset. Pre-Reformation altar slab. Late C17 carved pedestal pulpit. C17 stained glass. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; Photographs in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, 1916 and 1934).

Listing NGR: ST0568237750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264787
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1916)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1934)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15638/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].