SS93SW WINSFORD CP THE STEEP (West side)
Church of St Mary Magdalene
Parish church. Some Norman work, C13 chancel, Perpendicular nave, aisles added and tower c1450, restored 1858 when west
end gallery removed and 1813 screen destroyed, restored 1890-1, church reseated and nave and aisles roofs renewed by J
D Sedding. Roughcast nave, tower coursed lias rubble, slate roofs, nave and aisles beneath one roof, coped verges. West
tower, 4-bay nave and north and south aisles, south porch. Crenellated 3-stage tower, set back buttresses, string
courses, crenellated north east stair turret, 2-light louvred bell openings, 2 x 4 light west window, moulded surround
to C19 west door; 2 and 3-light right of single storey gabled porch, unbuttressed, moulded arched opening, round arched
inner doorway (possibly reset Norman work), Perpendicular statue niche above, open wagon roof with bosses, C13 iron
work to early medieval door; 3-light east window to aisle, two 2-light trefoil headed mullioned windows forming
clearstorey in chancel arch wall, lancet and 2-light window flanking priest's door, 2 x 3 light east window, 3-light
cinquefoil headed mullioned window and lancet, rood stair projection in angle with north aisle, 3-light east window,
one 3-light and two 2-light windows with grotesque terminals to hoodmoulds, stepped buttress to right of blocked,
moulded 4-centred arch doorway, west end 2-light window and external chimney stack. Interior: rendered. Four bay
standard Perpendicular arcade, moulded Perpendicular chancel arch, moulded tower arch with partially dressed corbels.
Renewed open wagon roofs, chancel roof restored with original bosses and wallplate. Doorway to rood stair with loft
opening above in north east corner of chancel arch wall. Norman font with arcade of twisted columns and frieze of
saltire crosses above. Jacobean pulpit. Painted panel of the Royal Coat of Arms of James I dated 1609, said to be one
of only 4 extant. C18 turned baluster altar rails. Piece of C14 stained glass depicting the Virgin in East window.
Chest tomb without effigy let into north wall of chancel. Some C18 slate wall tablets. It is very rare in the West
Country to find the nave wall lit this way at the chancel end. Formerly known as the Church of St Peter the Apostle.
(Photograph in NMR; Allen, Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).
Listing NGR: SS9045934988