TRINITY CHAPEL AT BENTLEY HEATH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1174278
Date first listed:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
TRINITY CHAPEL AT BENTLEY HEATH, BENTLEY HEATH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINITY CHAPEL AT BENTLEY HEATH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:57:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRINITY CHAPEL AT BENTLEY HEATH, BENTLEY HEATH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24936 99571

Details

TQ 2499 POTTERS BAR BENTLEY HEATH LANE

Barnet

12/177 Trinity Chapel - at Bentley Heath

GV II

Private Chapel to Wrotham Park estate. 1866 by S.S.Teulon for G.Byng, 2nd Earl of Strafford. English bond red brick with white and burnt brick and stone dressings.Tiled roof. Polychrome Gothic.Chancel with N vestry. Nave with S porch and apsidal W baptistery. 4 bay nave: 3 windows to S, 2 lights with quatrefoiled heads, brick hood moulds. Plinth, burnt brick courses, brick cornice to close eaves. Gabled timber porch to right of centre on brick plinth. Trefoil headed lancets with diamond leaded lights, stained glass panels between studs. Arch braced roof and decorative bargeboards. 4 similar windows to N are slightly larger and have decorative relieving arches. No plinth or hood moulds. Angle buttresses to W end of nave.Semi-octagonal baptistery up to eaves level: 3 trefoiled lancets with string course at sill level. Stone parapet with corbel table. Pointed heads to buttresses above parapet. Circular window in W end of nave wall: 6 circular lights around a star. White brick decorative surround.Polychromatic stone blocks and brick bands in gable. Ridge cross on stone coped parapet. Steeply pitched roof. At E end of nave a large bellcote with tumbled-in brickwork and 2 stone spirelets. Chancel is lower, shorter and narrower. E end angle buttresses, stone coped parapet, similar gable ornament and ridge cross. Large traceried E window over stepped up stringcourse. Small lean-to 'aisle' addition to S with 5 light ribbon window. N vestry: hipped roof, entrance to W, 3 square lights to N and lean-to boiler room to E. Tall stack at NE corner of nave with decorative capping. Interior: chancel and baptistery arches have responds stopped halfway down. Star brick patterning in spandrels of nave windows, disrupted to N by larger openings. Ceiled roof. Glass: panel from St. Peters, Cranley Gardens in nave to N, otherwise plain. Memorials: chest tomb to G. Byng, d.1847, ornate neo-Perp, and wall slabs with figures, on nave N wall to Lady A. Byng, d.1845, and on nave S wall to Gen Sir J. Byng, d.1860, all moved from demolished Church of St. John the Baptist, Potters Bar. (VCH Middlesex 1976, Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ2493699571

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164229
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/12257/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].