CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1174342
Date first listed:
20-May-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, BLANCHE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174342.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:44:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, BLANCHE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
South Mimms
National Grid Reference:
TL 22231 01196

Details

TL 20 SW POTTERS BAR BLANCHE LANE (East side) South Mimms

4/184 Church of 20.5.49 St. Giles (Formerly listed as Parish GV I Church of St. Giles)

Parish Church. C13 origin to chancel. Nave late C14/early C15. Tower mid C15. N aisle and chapel built pursuant to will of H. Frowyk, d.1527. Refenestration, refacing of all but tower, S porch and much of interior by G.E. Street, 1877-8. Split flint rubble, stone dressings. Red brick N aisle and chapel. Tiled roof. Chancel:steeply pitched roof, ridge taller and eaves lower than nave. Traceried 3-light E window. Diagonal buttresses. S wall: one 2-light traceried window flanked by buttresses, to left an entrance with chamfered pointed surround and a low side window with cusped trefoil head. Nave S wall: two 2-light traceried windows, 3 buttresses, unevenly spaced. Embattled parapet. Timber S porch on stone base: 2 bays, traceried headed openings, leaded lights in outer bay, arch braced roof, cusped bargeboards. S entrance: pointed arch with hollow moulded jambs. W tower: 3 stages, angle buttresses. W entrance, nail studded door under pointed arch with moulded jambs.Above a 3-light window with 4-centred head. 2nd stage: clock to W and single cinquefoiled light with square head to S. Three similar 2 light windows in 3rd stage. Embattled parapet. Stair turret to SE with slit windows, semi-octagonal upper stage, broached to SE. N aisle, ridge taller than nave. 4 bays separated by buttresses. N wall has 3 square headed windows to E with 3 cinquefoiled lights. Similar window on W gable end wall.N chapel: 2 bays, lower ridge, similar windows and buttresses. Interior: tower arch with semi-octagonal responds to 2-centred arch with hollow chamfered orders. C15 plank and batten door to stair turret. 4-bay N aisle arcade, octagonal piers, 4-centred arches. Remains of rood stair and entrance to wall passage in recess of E window in nave S wall. 2-bay arcade from chancel to N chapel, octagonal pier and responds, 4-centred arches. Chancel S wall:piscina with trefoiled head. Nave and chancel roof of 1877 with ceiled E end. Plain C16 roof to N aisle and chapel, chamfered beams, painted in chapel. W end of nave: 2 C16 linenfold bench ends with moulded capping used as model for Street's seating. C13/C14 font:plain square bowl, octagonal stem with traceried panels on 4 sides, 4 ringed shafts also support bowl.Gilt font cover by N. Comper 1938.C13/C14 hutch type chest with foliate carved feet and remains of panelled ornament, rosettes in cusped rails. Early C16 screen to N chapel:10 bays to aisle and 16 to chancel, closed base, open panels above with steeply gabled crocketed and cusped heads. 2 entrances with carved ogee heads and Frowyk's leopard's head ornament. Rood screen, lectern and pulpit by Street. Canopy over C19 statue on E respond of N aisle arcade by N.Comper. Monuments: Chancel N wall to H.Frowyk the Elder c.1540. An early conjunction of Perp and Renaissance.Chest tomb with quatrefoiled panels and central niche to front. Ogee headed panels to E. 4 centred arched canopy with quatrefoiled panelled soffit supported by 4 enriched balusters on ringed shafts. N chapel N wall to H.Frowyk the Younger c.1530-40, a similar tomb but pure Perp.4 shields of arms on multifoiled panelled front to chest. Leopards' heads in quatrefoils on sides. 4 centred arch to canopy with vaulted panelled soffit. 4 ringed corner shafts with terminals above canopy. Effigy on chest, armoured figure with head on helmet, feet on lion. Chancel S wall:C17 wall slabs. Nave S wall: early C17 wall slab with sarcophagus below an enriched panel with a recessed skull in a strapwork cartouche.Aedicular C18 slab above. Brasses in chancel, N chapel, nave and tower floors. Glass:kneeling figures in civil costume in N aisle windows and W window of N chapel, inscribed date 1526. (RCHM 1910,Pevsner 1977,VCH Middlesex 1976).

Listing NGR: TL2223101196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164236
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02145/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sam Klok. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].