Church of St Mary the Virgin

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1174351
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Main Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary the Virgin
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174351 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:07:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Main Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Westonzoyland
National Grid Reference:
ST 35173 34790

Details

ST33SE 5/87 WESTONZOYLAND CP MAIN ROAD (North side) Church of St Mary the Virgin (Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

29.3.63

GV I Anglican parish church. C13, C14, predominantly C15, C16, restored late C19 and 1933-39 by the Caroe practice. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, lead sheeting and slate roofs, coped verges, cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south porches, north and south transepts, north vestry, west tower.

Mainly Perpendicular with Decorated chancel. Lofty tower of four stages, embattled parapet with quatrefoil arcading, set-back buttresses connected diagonally across the angle, they terminate in pinnacles on the bell-chamber stage; lowest stage blank on north and south sides, west face with large four-light window and a door; on the stage above traceried two-light windows on four sides, flanking niches, canopies, some remains of statuary; similar treatment to the stage above. Bell-stage with three transomed traceried windows set together on each face, flanking pinnacles; above square pinnacles with pennants and intermediate pinnacles; polygonal stair-turret to north with battlements; gargoyles, clock to south.

Long five bay nave, embattled, gargoyles; clerestory three-light windows with tracery, four-centred heads. Four bay aisles, to south embattled, to north with plain parapet, three-light traceried windows with pointed-arch heads; gargoyles, buttresses. Embattled parapet continues over buttressed gabled south porch, niche with canopy to gable face, doorway with panelled arch, paired C18 dog-gates with iron cresting. Buttressed south transept with initials:- "RB", (Richard Beere, Abbot of Glastonbury 1499-1524), and emblem of a pelican on the buttresses; embattled parapet, traceried three-light windows; at its junction with the chancel an odd slender buttress which may be the evidence of a former central tower.

North transept with tall transomed three-light north window; large attached chimney of C19. Small north porch, moulded inner and outer door openings, C18 outer door with panelling. Two bay chancel, two-light traceried Decorated windows, except a three-light Perpendicular window to south-west, priest's door to south, four-light neo-Perpendicular east window; polygonal rood stair, by Caroe. Small vestry, C13 with a big buttress to north and a lancet window, further later lancet to east.

Interior of south porch plastered, flagstone floor, restored C15 roof, angel corbels; restored traceried inner door with latch mechanism by Caroe. Interior of church plastered on flagstone floors, inset with many C17, C18 and C19 memorials including matrix of a former brass. Six bay arcades, piers of four-hollows section; panelled arches to transepts with angel busts; panelled chancel and tower arches. Fan-vault under tower; nave under good roof, low pitch, big tie-beams, short arched-braces, angel busts, kingposts, close tracery of two tiers to left and right, beam over rood carved with initials:- "RB"; angel corbels.

Panelled lean-to roofs to aisles, bosses, again on angel corbels. Panelled roof to south transept. North transept with plastered wagon roof; C19 wagon roof to chancel. Vested figure of a priest in north transept, C13, in niche with restored cusped head. Chancel windows with shafted rere arches. Hagioscope. Piscinae to transepts. Good set of C15 bench ends, large tracery motifs, some poppy heads, one with initials:- "RB". C14 font, C19 cover. Jacobean altar table; chest dated 1670. Victorian pews, pulpit and brass lectern. Much work by Caroe including rood screen with loft, readers incorporating medieval work, benches, altar rails and altar tables. Organ case probably also designed by Caroe, though the instrument itself is earlier. Six principal C19 wall monuments.

Majority of windows with plain leaded lights, iron saddle and stanchion bars. Some remains of medieval glass to north and south transepts and to south west window of the chancel. Six bells, two of C18. Early clock mechanism. Following the Battle of Sedgemoor, July 6 1685, some 500 defeated rebels were imprisoned in the church for a short time.

(Photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST3516934790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269612
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 55, (1909), .
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 29, (1883), .
Other
Guide to Church of St Mary the Virgin Westonzoyland,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05480/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].