CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1174661
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174661.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:21:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Norton St. Philip
National Grid Reference:
ST 79993 57423

Details

ST75NE NORTON ST. PHILIP CP FARLEIGH HUNGERFORD

1/253 Church of St. Leonard

11.3.68

GV II*

Parish church. Consecrated 1443. Remodelled 1856. Roughly coursed and faced rubble Doulting stone with ashlar quoins; stone slate roof with coped gables and finials with crosses. Perpendicular style West Tower, Nave with south porch and Chancel. Tower in 3 stages, unbuttressed stunted spire and weather vane. West door, vertically boarded with iron stands set in a moulded 4- centred Tudor arch. On south side set 1.5 metres above the ground an entrance without steps with a "Y" framed, boarded door in 4 centred Tudor arch. Above west door a 3-light stone mullion semi-circular window with cusped perpendicular tracery and moulded drip with stops; above a chamfered stone framed window to ringing floor and to all 4 sides of bell chamber, 2- light, chamfered stone mullion louvered openings with semi- circular heads. A pair of stone gargoyls on each face with solid ashlar stone parapet and plain coping over. Nave, 3 window, 2-light cavetto moulded stone mullion windows with square head and drip moulds with stop ends. Window 1 with ferrametta. South Porch between windows 1 and 2 stone tile roof, coped gable with finial and cross. Entrance through equilateral, moulded arch, with re-sited consecration stone over incised letters "+MUNIAT HOC TEMPLUM CRUCE GLORIFICANS MICROCOSMUM: QUAE GENUIT CHRISTUM MISERIS PRECE FIAT ASILUM" Chancel, 2-window, 2-light cavetto moulded stone mullion windows with square head and dripmoulds with stop ends, similar to Nave. Interior, Devon type wagon roofs to Porch, Nave plaster ceiling removed, and Chancel with exposed ribs and carved trusses, restored 1856. Some C14 stained glass in north window to Nave, many fragments in east Chancel window of Flemish origin cusped and crocketted tripartite ogee arches on east wall, c1830, chairs in Chancel, removed from Farleigh Hungerford Castle (qv). C17 Altar rail, wood carved with open work scrolls and figures, early C18 Pulpit, wood, carved with eagles and angels, C19. Modern Font. Monuments include Dorothea Torriano Houlton 1799, John Houlton 1839, Mrs. Shirley 1828, Lady Wilson 1864. All with Gothic canopies.

Listing NGR: ST7999357423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267200
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08908/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Cockerham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].