Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of TYTTENHANGER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 20:15:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hertsmere (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 19146 04655


TL 10 SE RIDGE COURSERS ROAD (North side) Ridge

3/242 Tyttenhanger House 25.2.52 (Formerly listed as Tyttenhanger House,London Colney) GV I

Former country house, now offices. c.1655 for Sir H.Blount possibly by P.Mills. Altered early C18. Repaired 1783 and 1789 by Sir J.Soane for C.Yorke. Extended C18. Few C19/C20 alterations. Red brick, moulded and gauged dressings. Stone plinth, possibly re-used material from earlier building on site. Steep hipped tiled roof. Squarish H plan with shallow projecting wings. Artisan Mannerist Style. 3 storeys and attic. Symmetrical garden or original entrance front: 2:5:2. Steps up to central entrance, semi-circular traceried fanlight over 2/3 glazed door. Moulded surround. Richly carved projecting timber hood with scrolled pediment and brackets. Single mullion and transom timber casements in moulded brick surrounds. Cornices over ground floor windows below prominent continuous plat band. Aprons to 1st floor windows which have pedimented architraves; segmental pediments to mid and outer bays of main range, central lugged architrave framed by pilasters with scrolled bases. Square 2nd floor windows, architraves with aprons to pediments below. Deep boxed eaves. Chamfered brick quoins to return and re-entrant angles of wings. Re-entrant walls of crosswings have blind windows. Pedimented dormers, 1:3:1. Tall stacks at junctions of main range and wings; panelled sides, bases and moulded caps. Double span roof to hall range. On front ridge to centre a large square wooden clock turret surmounted by an open octagonal bell chamber with a cupola and weathervane finial. Left return: asymmetrical 2:3. 3 bays towards front closely spaced. Bracketed hood over central ground floor French window with flanking blind openings. First floor: pedimented architraves, that to centre similar to centre front. 2 bays towards rear, wider spacing, articulated as at front. 3 dormers evenly spaced. Small capped stack to left of centre. Right return: least formal facade. 4 bays grouped towards centre. Casements of 2 to 6 lights. Stone arched head to basement opening. 1st and 2nd floor blind openings to outer bays. 1 dormer and 1 small capped stack. Rear or later entrance front asymmetrical 2:5:2. Irregularly fenestrated in main range to suit staircases. Steps up to central entrance. Moulded timber surround with consoles to pediment. Plain brick surrounds to cross glazed casements. Some floating cornices. Plat band, blocked at angles. Crosswings shallower than at front. Brick quoins at angles, not chamfered. Right wing openings all blind except 2nd floor, ground floor left blocked door. Half basement. Dormers, 1:5:1. 2 tall cross axial stacks at junctions with wings, panelled sides and moulded caps. Large stack in central valley. Interior: ground floor: rear hall, now reception, re-used Jacobean panelling. Front rooms: remodelled early C18. Hall has 2 Doric piers replacing original screen from passage. Original main staircase rises full 3 storeys. Open well. Richly carved square newels, baskets of fruit on top and drops. In place of balusters elaborate pierced foliage panels. Moulded handrail and string with bayleaf frieze. First floor landing: massive carved wood doorcases to principal rooms in which some linenfold panelling re-set and a late C18 chimney piece. Second floor: chapel, linenfold and Jacobean panelling, 2 pews, pulpit and reading desk. Lord's Prayer, 10 Commandments and Credo painted over fireplace. C17 heraldic glass in windows. Attic: long gallery with linenfold panelling. Secondary stair: ball finials to square newels, turned balusters, moulded handrail. L-shaped extension to right return towards rear. 1 storey. Flat arched heads and plain brick surrounds to similar windows. Hipped roof. Entrance gates, wrought iron, 1873, attached to N. Low wall from left end of garden front runs forward to steps down to terrace to left of house. Piers with stone caps, ball finials. (RCHM Typescript: Country Life 4-11 October 1919: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL1914604655


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in 11 October, (1919)
'Country Life' in 4 October, (1919)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04284/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].