CHURCH OF ST ETHEL DREDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1175935
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHEL DREDA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1175935.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 19:04:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHEL DREDA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
West Quantoxhead
National Grid Reference:
ST 11323 42006

Details

ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP

5/218 Church of St. Ethel Dreda (previously listed as Etheldreda

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish Church. 1854-6. Architect John Morton for Sir Peregrine Acland and his son-in-law Sir Alexander Acland-Hood. Doulting stone, squared and coursed, Bath stone dressings, stone slates, coped verges, chamfered plinth. 4 bay nave, chancel and vestry, North and South aisles, Jorthwest tower, South porch. Late C13 Geometrical style. 3 stale tower, pierced parapet with initials and coats of arms of donors, angled buttresses, 2-light bell openings with quatrefoil Somerset tracery, clock second stage under ogee hood mould, 2-light window below, deeply moulded West entrance to tower, stair turret in North East corner with ashlar spirelet and weathervane. West front continued, gabled end of nave 4-light window, gabled end of South aisle 3-light; South front 2-light window left and two 2-light right of gabled and buttressed porch with 3 bay sedila-type arcades, double doors, decorative hinges; 3-light on East face of South aisle, two single light traceried windows to chancel, 3-light East end, 2-light to vestry; forth front, two single light tracered windows to vestry, three 2-light left between buttresses. All windows with hood moulds and carved foliage and faces to stops. Particularly noteworthy pair of gargoyles at junction of charcel and South aisle attributed to Farmer who did internal carving. Interior: arcades of Babbacombe marble piers, naturisticaily carved capitals, angel corbels carrying deep-arch braced scissor truss roof, one tier of cusping in nave, 2 tiers in chancel, aisles arch braced collar trusses with queen struts, Chancel tiled with coats of arms of doners. C12 font, good mid C19 brass lecturn. Unusually homogenous collection of average to good mid C19 fittings in contemporary interior distinguished by some fine stone carving. The medieval church, from which the font comes, was reputedly rebuilt circa 1583 and demolished by the Aclands when St. Audries (qv) park extended and the village resited, (Photograph in NMR VCH Somerset, Vol,S forthcoming; Pevsner, buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1132342006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265268
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14845/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].