CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1176071
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176071.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:23:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Condover
National Grid Reference:
SJ 47076 04502

Details

SJ 40 SE CONDOVER C.P. STAPLETON

9/112 Church of St John the - Baptist 13.6.58 GV II*

Parish church. Uncoursed sandstone and quartzite rubble with ashlar dressings, machine tile roof with coped verges. Circa 1190-1210, re-modelled c.1790 with west tower of c.1840; restoration by Slater and Carpenter in 1867. Nave and chancel in one with former undercroft beneath, west tower and north- east vestry. Tower: 3 stepped stages with pointed angle quoins and voussoirs; 4 round-headed openings to belfry with embattled parapet; west window to second stage, also round-headed, has similar door beneath. Nave: north side has 2 original lancets to upper stage with broad blocked lancet and lancet of 1867 to west; division from former undercroft marked by a chamfered band below which are 3 narrow rectangular slits; flying buttress to centre c.1867; south side: height of former undercroft again marked by a chamfered band below which are a wide round-headed doorway and a narrow rectangular slit to east; above to either side of door are 2 Gothic windows of 1867 with an original lancet to east. Chancel: south side has narrow pointed priest's door (c.1280) and lancet above to east; 2 recessed windows at ground level to east with spherical triangular tracery c.1867; one lancet on north to east of gabled vestry, moved eastwards when the vestry and present east wall (including the triple lancet window) were built in 1867. Interior: no trace now remains of the undercroft (removed in 1786) except for the dispos- ition of the windows; arch-braced roof to nave in 5 bays (1867), the eastern- most truss supported on 2 stone shafts with foliated capitals; contemporary trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing to chancel; west gallery with richly carved and painted organ, also 1867; twin sedilia on south and piscina in north wall date to C19 restoration, but the rectangular recess high up on the south wall is probably a medieval piscina and presumably served the upper level of the church; pointed-arched recesses in north and south walls at west end of chancel are re-cut early C13 work, but their function is unclear; round-headed doorway to tower with raised keystone and imposts (c.1790) has nail-studded door; altar fronted by C17 decorative oak panelling and flanked by 2 tall painted German candlesticks (c.1500), late C19 wall painting to east wall; plain mid-C19 octagonal font is said to have come from the Church of the Holy Trinity, Uppington (q.v. under Uppington C.P.); a piece of embroidery hanging in a frame on the south wall is reputed to have been worked by Mary Queen of Scots and a board on north wall commemorates the repair of the church in 1790. Monument: wall memorial to Thomas Meyrick (died 1778) in tower. The church was probably originally a dependent chapelry of Condover (q.v. under Church of St Mary and St Andrew, Condover). A motte (Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No.183) stands approximately 50m to south-east. B.o.E., p.293; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903). Pp.509-13.

Listing NGR: SJ4707604502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259414
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 509-513
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 293

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/08442/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].