SEXEY'S HOSPITAL WEST WING, WITH CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1176086
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
SEXEY'S HOSPITAL WEST WING, WITH CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEXEY'S HOSPITAL WEST WING, WITH CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:55:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEXEY'S HOSPITAL WEST WING, WITH CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Bruton
National Grid Reference:
ST 68108 34713

Details

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (South side)

8/120 Sexey's Hospital : West Wing, with Chapel

24.3.61

GV I

Almshouse, with chapel. c1638. Local stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs behind parapets, with coped gables; stone chimney stacks with moulded caps. 'J'-plan, 2 storeys with undercroft on South side; street elevation of 8 bays. Plinth, eaves string, plain parapet; mostly paired cusped headed windows under continuous stepped label below and string course above; no window lower bay 2, plain cambered arched doorway bay 4; lead rainwater stackhead at West end. Inner courtyard has matching elevations, with one door and one 2-light window to each living unit, 3 to each level on North and West sides, the upper units reached by oak access stair and gallery of 1882 in C17 style; the 3-bay South side has stepped 3-light windows, bay 1 being the chapel window, with smaller similar windows set into gables bays 2 and 3 above; cambered arched doorways to right of each bay, that to bay 2 having flat stone hood on corbel brackets, to bay 3 now blocked by staircase; above doorway between bays 2 and 3 a 3-centre arched recess with architrave in which is set decorated bust of the founder under moulted canopy with cartoucle of arms and plaque under inscribed "Hugh Sexey, Esq., Founder - of this Hospitall - Auditor to Queene Elizabeth and King - James", and signed "Wm Stanton, London, fecit". C16 style East chapel window in gable end. South garden front 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays; paired cusped 2-light windows under shared labels to ground, with stepped 3-light to first floor and attic gables, but with 3-light C15 traceried pointer arch chapel window upper bay 4. Interiors of living units probably modified, but Chapel completely unchanged, with plain timber coving to plaster barrel vault ceiling, C17 panelling and stall-type pews, matching pulpit with tester and lower reading desk and very small altar table. next to chapel the Visitors' entrance, with wide oak plank floors, C17 board and panel doors, and fine timber screen with Ionic columns, leading into Visitors' room, plain but with wide cambered arched fireplace; good stairs to Master's flat above, which has several C17 doors, a small cambered arched fireplace, and the exposed collar trusses of roof frame. First almshouse in Bruton recorded in 1292; Hugh Sexey, a substantial landowner in Bruton died 1619; his trustees decided to rebuild some former charity houses on opposite side of road endowed by Sexey during his lifetime, in or about 1638. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST6811034713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
261594
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14115/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham G. G. Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].