Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:35:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Lydeard St. Lawrence
National Grid Reference:
ST 12809 32132



2/168 Church of St Lawrence



Parish Church. Chancel and nave Circa 1350, rest C15, restored 1869 and late C20. Red sandstone random rubble with quoins, nave and chancel, rest squared and coursed, limestone dressings and C19 Ham stone reveals, C19 slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. 4-bay nave, chancel, 4-bay North aisle extended one bay East for chapel, North and South porches, West tower. 3-stage crenellated tower with finials, diagonal buttresses, 3-light bell openings with Somerset tracery, 2-light below and 3-light West window (no door), crenellated stair turret North-east corner. All windows 3-light Perpendicular except chancel and one in nave. North aisle crenellated roof with quatrefoil pierced merlons and finials, North porch set back stepped buttresses, crenellated returns but gable rebuilt without then when roof restored, gargoyles left and right of porch rather weather worn. Rood loft stair turret projection. Chancel windows 2-light on North wall, 3-light at East end, 3-light Tudor arched heads and 2-light on South wall flanking priest's door. Nave, 4-light outer bay right with 3-light flanking South porch, diagonal buttresses, crenellated returns of quatrefoil pierced decorated panels continued over the gable with inserted sundial dated 1653. Interior: rendered, said to conceal many painted monuments, tower not rendered. 4-bay arcade, pillars decorated with carved capitals, from West end fox and goose, angels, vine leaves and plaited decoration. Open wagon roof North aisle, boarded in nave, (plaster removed 1896). C14 piscina and 3-bay sedillia, squint in chancel arch. Fragments of C15 glass in chancel. Finest feature of the church is the early C16 screen, 2x5 bays, restored 1903, C16 painted decoration on rear of aisle screen with inscription in frieze, later painted decoration with coats of arms on facade of nave screen. Early C16 bench ends. 2-storey arcaded Jacobean pulpit, 7-sided, cut down, and standing on C19 stone plinth with flight of 5 steps. Circular font and octagonal base, inverted. Ham stone tablet to Doctor Godwin died 1628, scrolls, swan neck pediment with skull and cross bones and decorated apron. Similar C20 version to another incumbent. (SANHS, Vol 44, p56-58, 1898; photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1280532136


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 44, (1898), 56-58


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12361/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].