CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176182
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, A 488

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176182.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:51:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, A 488

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Hanwood
National Grid Reference:
SJ 44369 09614

Details

SJ 40 NW GREAT HANWOOD C.P. A488 (south side)

4/130 Church of St Thomas - 13.6.58 GV II

Parish church. Mainly 1856, but-incorporating some medieval, C17 and C18 fabric. Red brick - mainly C19 but some C17 brick in nave and C18 brick to chancel - on roughly coursed sandstone plinth (probably medieval), ashlar dressings and quoins with machine-tile roof and dentilled eaves cornice. Nave with polygonal chancel under same roof and belfry at west end; north porch, south-east vestry and north-east organ chamber. Nave: in 5 bays on north, paired lancets with circular openings above in third and fifth bays from west with blocked opening between, gabled porch in second bay with another paired lancet to west; south side also has 3 paired lancets, the westernmost cutting the infill of a blocked doorway; paired lancet in west wall and circular window above with 4 pierced trefoils; tile-hung late C19 belfry with pyramidal roof. Polygonal chancel with C19 Gothic windows, east one of 3 lights; shallow lean-to organ chamber (1890) on north with paired lancet, gabled vestry to south. Interior: mainly mid-C19 appearance, plain oak roof in 5 bays; some re-used C17 panelling in sanctuary which has the words "holy.holy.holy" painted on back wall; mid-C19 stained glass in chancel and south-east window of nave by David and Charles Evans, late C19 stained glass in other nave windows on south; mid-C19 box pews and C12 sandstone font with moulded rim and scalloped underside on late C19 pedestal. Monuments: a collection of early to mid-C19 wall tablets and memorials to various members of local families in both nave and chancel. B.o.E., p.133; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire (1894-1908), p.859, and Appendix p.992.

Listing NGR: SJ4436909614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259432
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 859, 992
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 133

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15610/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Weatherill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].