CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1176255
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176255.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:49:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Walton
National Grid Reference:
ST 46135 36314

Details

WALTON CP MAIN STREET (South side) ST43NE

5/99 Church of The Holy Trinity (previously listed as Walton Church (Holy Trinity)) 22.11.66

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. 1866 by John Norton with Rev. J. F. Turner; carved work by Seymour of Taunton. Squared rubble, freestone dressings, many 2-stage buttresses with offsets, tile roofs with fishscale banding and crested ridges, lean-to slate roof to aisle, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with South porch, North aisle, chancel with North vestry, tower abutting North-East end of aisle. Mannered Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Three-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, lancets to bell-chamber, clock to North face, pyramidal slate roof added 1886 with weathervane. Three bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows, flowing tracery, labels, some with foliate stops, some with stops carved as heads; 4-light West window, ball-flower decoration; the 2-bay chancel in conforming style, 2-light windows, 3-light East window, priests door. Three bay aisle, 3-light windows with 4-centred heads. Lofty interior with overpainted polychromatic banding executed in brick, tile and encaustic tile pavements. Wagon roof to nave; lean-to roof on foliate corbels to aisle; collar-beam roof to chancel with cusped struts. Three-bay arcade to aisle with 4-shafted columns; chamfered chancel arch with ball-flower decoration. Recuabant C14 figure in aisle. Two Jacobean chairs, an altar-table and a chest. C18 bench. Elaborate font with detached marble shafts the gift of the Thynne family. Stone pulpit. Brass and wood altar rail; good altar table in Early English style. Three wall monuments, one in brass. Bell of 1637. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; The Central Somerset Gazette, May 5 1866: the Building News, 6th March, 1891).

Listing NGR: ST4613536314

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267807
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'The Central Somerset Gazette' in 5 May, (1866)
'Building News' in 6 March, (1891)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12655/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].