CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176326.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 13:58:35.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Taunton Deane (District Authority)
- Kingston St. Mary
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 22290 29712
ST2229 KINGSTON ST MARY CP
KINGSTON ST MARY VILLAGE
12/110 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13 nave and aisles, C14 chapels, late C14-early C15 South chapel extended one bay East, circa 1490 tower, early C16 chancel rebuilt, nave reroofed, South aisle extended 2 bays West, porch added, church refenestrated, mid C19 West gallery removed, 1867 organ chamber added, C17 alterations including windows removed, latter replaced by Perpendicular style windows, tower reroofed 1952, and restored 1976-8. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings and ashlar porch, squared and coursed stairturret, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4 bay nave, 4 bay South aisle, 3 bay South chapel, South porch, 5 bay North aisle, North East organ chamber and chancel. Flamboyant 3-stage crenellated tower, crocketed pinnacles with bracketed pinnacles set at angles, decorative pierced merlons, set back buttresses crowned with pinnacles, pinnacles set in angles, string courses, gargoyles, each face with pierced 2-light mullioned and transomed bell openings, Somerset tracery and pinnacled shafts, angels on 3 faces carring second stage 2 light mullioned and transomed openings with Somerset tracery, flanked by empty crocketed niches, pinnacles in angles, West door 4-centred arch, decorative spandrels flanked by empty crocketed niches, full height North East stair turrut with pyramid ashlar roof and weathervane: South aisle pierced parapet with quatrefoil decoration, West end 3-light window, South West corner single storey porch, cambered gable with similar pierced parapet, gargoyle, diagonal buttresses, moulded arched opening flanked by empty crocketed niches, fan vaulted ceiling, 4-centred arch doorway, decorative spandrels, ribbed C15 door, to right on South aisle damaged blue lias memorial stone to Bult family, three broken pedimented 2-light windows between stepped buttresses, 3-light East window to chapel with 4 centred arched doorway right, decorative spandrels, above blue lias tablet with skull to George Knight, died 1681, diagonal buttresses to chancel, 5-light East window, 3-light on North front, 2-light to vestry, North aisle without parapet, three 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, lancet at West end. Interior: rendered. 4 bay arcade, C13 circular piers with double chamfered arches, Perpendicular arches to chapels, 2 bays betweeen chancel and South aisle with rosette capitals, Eastern bay lower, moulding of 4 centred tower arch reaching to wagon roof, tower unusual in that wider North South, decorative wooden chancel arch carried on stone corbels. Ribbed wagon roofs with boses to nave and chancel, decorative wall-plate to latter, C19 ribbed wagon roofs to aisles, 4-panel moulded compartment ceiling to tower. Blocked 4-centred arch rood loft opening in North aisle wall, unglazed 3-light Perpendicular window with ferramentee at East end of North aisle, South aisle aunbry. Large table tomb without effigy to Sir John de Warre in South chapel, late C14, Ham stone with polished Purbeck marble slab, cusped ogee decotated sides with Heraldic shields, repainted 1936, C20 glazed Gothic style screen West end, organ above. Poor box dated 1676. Perpendicular font, wooden canopy and pully dated 1900. Brass chandelier by Thomas Bayley of Bridgwater dated 1773. Very good collection of early C16 benches end bench ends in nave, one dated 1522. Hexagonal pulpit, 1742, with inserted stair, Unusual pair of lead-panels dated 1706 and 1779 inscribed with names of churchwardens and plumber, recovered from roof during 1952 restoration. C17 Italian painting of St Catherine of Alexandria in handsome contemporary frame in South aisle. In South chapel warble and slate tablet by Greenway of Bristol to Coplestone Warre Bamflyde, died 1791, the gentleman architect who lived at Hestercombe, Cheddon Fitzpaine (qv). (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; H F Ellis, The Parish Church of Kingston St Mary, 1980; Photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST2228929712
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Ellis, H F , The Parish Church of Kingston St Mary, (1980)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing