CHURCH OF ST EATA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EATA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176664 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 00:57:00.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EATA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SJ 50 NW
ATCHAM C.P. ATCHAM
Church of St Eata
Parish church. C12 nave and late C13 chancel incorporating reused Roman blocks from Wroxeter; circa 1300 tower with late C15 or early C16 top stage; south porch dated 1685 restored in late C19. Dressed red and grey sandstone including large Roman blocks with Lewis holes and carved scale work, ashlar top stage to tower; machine plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch, and west tower. Tower: 4 stages. Splayed base, circa 1300 clasping west buttresses up to third stage; diagonal buttresses to top stage, extending to top of first stage to west; set back to top stage with carved quatrefoil frieze corner gargoyles, parapet with truncated panelled pinnacles, and pyramidal cap with weathervane. 4-centred arched belfry openings with hollow chamfered reveals, paired trefoil-headed louvred lights and returned hoodmoulds with carved stops; louvred paired lancet third-stage openings have central quatrefoil-section shafts with moulded bases and capitals; large second-stage west lancet with chamfered reveals; round-arched west portal consisting of 5 orders of shafts with moulded bases and capitals and pair of C19 boarded doors. Clock above belfry opening to north; weathering indicating former roof-line visible on east wall. Nave; south side: 2 large grey sandstone ashlar buttresses to right dated 1817. 2 windows, late C19 to left with 2 trefoiled ogee- headed lights, panelled tracery chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould; C15 or early C16 to right with 3 trefoil ogee-headed lights, panelled tracery, chamfered reveals, and returned hoodmould with carved stops; C13 doorway to left with roll-moulded arch, hoodmould with carved stops and pair of C17 boarded doors dated "WH/15/CW/1685". Gabled timber framed porch on low sandstone ashlar walls, entrance with shafts supporting brackets, carved tie beam inscribed: "SAM JEWKES THO LISTER CH. WARD", and moulded barge boards. Tablet above south door inscribed: "SI CHRISTUM . DISCIS . SATIS . EST . SI.CETERA . DISCIS/SI . CHRISTUM . NESCIS . NIHIL . EST . SI . CETER . DISCIS" with translation beneath; half-H tablet high up on wall to left of porch inscribed: "In a Vault underneath/lieth the remains of/the Revd/SAMUEL FOWLER". North side: pair of large grey sandstone ashlar buttresses to right dated 1817. Small late C12 round- arched window to left with straight-sided rear arch; large C15 or early C16 window to right with 3 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. Chancel: high chamfered plinth; probably C19 verge parapet to east. 2 bays with central buttresses; 2-light windows with Y-tracery and double chamfered reveals; south side with double chamfered doorway to left with boarded door and hoodmould with carved stops; triple east lancet with double chamfered reveals and pair of double chamfered T-shaped openings in plinth beneath. Interior: double- chamfered tower arch springing from single-chamfered imposts; possibly C15 single framed nave roof with arch-braced collars and sets of 3 purlins; C17 tie-beam chancel roof with collars and cambered tie beams resting on brackets; tomb recess with hoodmould in south wall of chancel; architectural fragment of carved foliage high up in north wall of nave. Fittings include: panelled octagonal stone font dated "IS/WP/CW/1675"; C17 reading desk with fluted seat back-panels and 4 carved arched front-panels depicting scenes from The Prodigal Son (probably not English); two C17 carved wooden panels on south wall of nave, also probably imported; C19 wooden pulpit with blank panels and carved foliated frieze; late C17 chair stalls containing some earlier work; late C19 altar rails; 10 hatchments to the Burton and Berwick families; vestry beneath tower contains painted Burton and Lingen family coat-of-arms, C17 pew, and probably early C19 painted benefactors board. Stained glass: late C15 glass in east window brought from Bacton in Herefordshire in 1811 and depicting 3 figures with the kneeling family of Miles ap Harry (Parry) below; C15 and C16 glass in a north window, also from Bacton; late C19 west window depicting St Eata, in memory of John Lingen Burton of Longner Hall (q.v.). Monuments include: inscribed alabaster slab in south-east corner, of 1524 to Edward Burton and his family of Longner Hall (q.v.), depicting figure under canopied niche and 2 shields of arms (inscription on brass plaque beneath reads: "that it was removed from a freehold pew belonging to the estate of Longner in St Chads, Shrewsbury, which collapsed in July 9. 1788)"; brass plaque on west end of south choir stalls in memory of the sons and daughters of John Calcot and his wife, of Berwick; other late C18 and early C19 wall tablets. A west gallery was dismantled in 1896 and the 1858 organ was enlarged and resited. The historian Ordericus was baptised in the church on Easter Day, April 5 1075. St Eata, from which the village takes its name, became the Bishop of Hexham and died in 685. In his proposals for the landscaping of Attingham Park Humphry Repton suggested the addition of a spire to the church as an eyecatcher, but this was never implemented. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.7, Pp.556-60; B.o.E., Shropshire, p.66.
Listing NGR: SJ5409609199
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 556-60
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 66
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.