CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1176782
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PEAK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176782.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 05:21:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PEAK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Compton Dundon
National Grid Reference:
ST 47942 32532

Details

ST43SE COMPTON DUNDON CP PEAK LANE (West side) DUNDON 1/77 Church of Saint Andrew 17.4.59

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14 chancel, remainder C15 with minimal C19 restoration. Local lias stone roughly squared with Ham Stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with cross finials. 2 cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 4-bay nave, with west tower, south porch and north east vestry. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttresses with offsets and central short buttress under east window, eaves course: east window has 5-lights with late geometric tracery of uneven clover-leaf pattern, under pointed arched label with headstops and a quatrefoil gable vent; north wall has 2 small cusped 2-light windows, one flat headed, one with quatrefoil in pointed arch with plain label; south wall has 2 windows similar to this last, and between them a moulded pointed arched doorway with curl stopped label. Nave has plinth,-bay buttresses, eaves course; on north cusped-light to pulpit recess, then three 3-light Perpendicular traceried windows in shallow coved recesses; in the third-bay no window, but blocked moulded pointed arched doorway; to south wall similar windows to 2 eastern bays, with additional small C17 window set high to east, and in same-bay a wall monument with hood and simple swag surround to Katherine Coombe, died 1729; western Window also 3-light, but tracery a mixture of reticulation and Perpendicular, under pointed arch label with plain stops; between these the simple south porch, with corner buttresses, coped gable and C15 moulded pointed arches to inner and outer doorways, the inner door of great age; rib and panel roof with ornate bosses, bench seats and stoup. North east corner vestry simple, with 2-light east window matching those of chancel. Tower of 3 stages; plinth, angled offset corner buttresses 2 storeys high, string courses with gargoyles to top course, battlemented parapet; offset rectangular projection 2 stages high on south east corner for stairs: moulded pointed arched doorway on west, with headstops to arched label; above in stage 2 a 3-light Perpendicular traceried window, and on south face a small rectangular window; to all faces of stage 3 are paired cusped light openings without labels to flat heads, fitted with stone baffles: pyramidal tiled roof with weathervane behind parapet. Chancel has some C19 work, including ceiling; C14 piscina linked to a 3 seater cusped ogee arched sedilia; east window has label internally with head stops; chancel arch probably C15, double chamfered orders running into plain chamfered jambs, with very wide low screen wall. Nave has moulded timber rib and panelled ceiling with ornate basses, forming slightly pointed vault; simple piscina in south wall; the former roof loft stair in north wall with semi-circular arched openings, also giving access to exceptional timber pulpit, dated 1628; panelled octagon, with integral baluster screen and tester; to west end some C15 pews with plain bench ends; in tower arch an octagonal font with plain bowl, shaft and base; by south door a stoup apparently linked to that outside in porch. Fittings include 2 chests, one possibly C14, one late C16. In floor two C17 Keinton stone slab memorials to John Clacey, died 1640, and Joye Barker, died 1637.

Listing NGR: ST4794232532

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262882
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/07198/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Dallimore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].