CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1176923
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1948
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176923.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:45:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Stevenage (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 24074 26207

Details

TL 22 NW RECTORY LANE (North Side) ------------ 4/3 Church of Saint Nicholas GV 18.2.48. A

C12; circa 1125, West tower nave. Aisles added C13, circa 1230, Aisles widened and C12 chancel rebuilt circa 1330. C15 nave clerestory, nave and chancel roofs aisle arcades rebuilt on existing columns, towers and angle buttresses, spire (lead renewed 1899). North east vestry South transept and south porch 1841. south aisle enlarged 1912-14. Early C13 font, late C14 or early C15 choir stalls with misericords, restored C15 roof screen, finely carved with foliated pinnacles, cusped ogee arches, Piscina and pedillia. Late C13 stone effigy of lady and 2 attendants. Carved marble wall monument to Charles Gibbon, 1771. Well designed black and white marble Turner wall monument, 1844.

The Church of Saint Nicholas Moonhill and Dominic Cottage form a group.



Listing NGR: TL2407426207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158109
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/03927/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].