CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1176997.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:24:28.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 53042 06860
BERRINGTON C.P. BERRINGTON
11/36 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15; restored and south porch rebuilt in 1877. Roughly squared and coursed red sandstone and dressed red and grey sandstone, all with ashlar dressings; red sandstone ashlar tower; plain tile roofs continuous over nave and aisle; 4-bay nave, south aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel and west tower. Tower: C15. Two stages externally; chamfered plinth with moulded top, moulded string course to set-back belfry with carved central and end stops, diagonal buttresses with 6 offsets, moulded cornice with central water chute, and battlemented parapet to pyramidal roof with flagpole. Belfry openings with 2 louvred cinquefoil-headed lights, Y-tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with carved stops; first stage has single chamfered square-headed lancet to north and south, that to south with 2 small lights, round-headed niche to left and curved- headed niche low down to left; 4 centred arched west window of 3 cinquefoil -headed lights with panelled tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; short stair turret to first stage at the south-east corner with chamfered top and boarded door. Weathering on tower to east does not quite match the present pitch of the nave roof. Nave: C13. North side: chamfered lancet to left; 3 circa 1870 windows to right, 2 to left of 3 trefoil and cinquefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals, and chamfered lancet to right with cinquefoil heads, and continuous hoodmould over all. South aisle: C13 with C14 alterations. Parapeted verge to left. Two C19 windows to right with paired chamfered trefoil-headed lights, C14 west window in left-hand return front with pair of chamfered trefoil-headed lights, and C14 east window in right-hand return front with pair of chamfered trefoil-headed lights and octafoil in tracery; south doorway to left with chamfered Tudor archway and two 2-panelled doors. South porch: 1877. Plinth, low angle buttresses, cill string, gable string course, and parapeted gable, reused C13 moulded archway with hood mould and carved stops, chamfered lancet in apex above, and pairs of square quatrefoil side windows with chamfered reveals. Chancel: C14. Chamfered plinth and parapeted gable end; South side: two trefoiled ogee-headed chamfered one-light windows and C19 window to left with 2 chamfered trefoil-headed lights and cinquefoil-tracery; round-arched priests doorway off-centre to left with boarded door, and C17 memorial plaque beneath moulded hood above inscribed: "HERE. BELOWE. WAS. BURYED. THE/ BODY. OF . THOMAS FARMER . THE . SO / NNE . OF . ANDREW . AND . FRANCIS / FARMER . OF . BROMPTON . IN . THIS . PAR / ISH . WHO . DECEASED . THE . 8 . DAY . OF / FEBRUARY . ANNO . DO1 , 1648 . IN . THE .(?). YEARE . OF . HIS . AGE / HE. BEING . A . BATCHELER"; north side: Cl9 window with 2 chamfered trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil tracery, and moulded cill. East end: C14 window with 3 cusped lights, flowing tracery and hoodmould. Interior: 3-bay aisle arcade in former south wall of nave with square piers chamfered up to outer arches, and inner chamfered arches resting on chamfered capitals; double chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals; 4-bay C14 nave roof with arch-braced collars, arch braced rafters, moulded collar plate and moulded single purlins; 2-bay C14 chancel roof; carved demi-figures high up in angle of nave and tower with chamfered square surrounds; chamfered trefoil-headed piscina in south aisle. Fittings: C19 openwork chancel screen above chamfered tie-beam with king post and trefoil-headed lattice infill; plain C19 altar rails and choir stalls; C19 low stone walls to chancel; richly carved C19 hexagonal wooden pulpit; C12 circular stone font with rude carving. Stained glass: east window of before 1820 by David Evans. Monuments: C13 wooden effigy of a cross-legged knight with chamfered-arched tomb recess in south aisle; tablet to Mrs. Greaves, died 1628,with Ionic columns flanking kneeling female figure; tablet to William Frank ? with Ionic columns supporting swan- necked pediment with shield in tympanum; tablet to Rebekah Gillam Greaves, died 1827, by John Bacon the younger; kneeling female figure with arm resting on sarcophagus, and crossed palms beneath. The church stands within a roughly circular raised churchyard [churchyard retaining wall (q.v.)] . V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p p. 13-27; D.H. S. Cranage. An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire Vol. 6, p p. 463-9; B.n.E., p.73.
Listing NGR: SJ5276706868
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 463-9
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 13-27
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 73
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing