Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177220.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 21:56:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Bratton Seymour
National Grid Reference:
ST 67711 30078


BRATTON SEYMOUR CP ST63SE BRATTON SEYMOUR VILLAGE 2/34 Church of St. nicholas 24.3.61 - II*

Anglican Parish Church. C13 et seq. Local stone uncoursed rubble with Doulting and Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs with sawn stone ridges, plain gabled to chancel and porch, stepped coped gables to nave. Two-cell plan, of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with west tower and south porch, and small north-east vestry. Chancel c1300: chamfered plinth, angled corner buttresses; east window 3-light, 'Y'-traceried over cinquefoil cusped lights (possibly a C18 repaired window) set under arched label with ball-flower stop; south window 2-light trefoil cusped, with quatrefoil above - almost plate tracery - under arched label with ball-flower stops; to west a small single-light with segmental arched head, of uncertain date, no label. Lean-to vestry on north side has double trefoil cusped window in north wall. Nave has chamfered plinth south side only: north wall has one 2-light window, south wall 2 to match, with 3-centre arched lights and plain chamfered mullions, probably C18, no labels; rendered pilaster to south-east corner. South porch has 2 C12 archways, the outer having reset stones of rudimentary lozenge pattern, with plain keystone; inner arch has double chevron mould, chevron capitals, plain jambs; door of early date. Tower has ashlar base over chamfered plinth, low, square and one-stage only: offset angled buttresses to 2/3 height, string course and irregular battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles; massive north-east stair turret almost full height, in 2 stages with stone chamfer roof and small slit lights: 3-centre arched west doorway now blocked, above it a 2-light window in semi-circular arched recess, light barely pointed arched, one cusp remains, solid panel over; at high level at north and south side - 2 to latter - are plain simple rectangular windows with a small C13 2-light window on east side, all with external wood louvred shutters; finial to earlier ridge line on east wall. Inside, the chancel has simple rere-arches to windows, and a plain almost triangular chamfered chancel arch; fittings all C19. Nave has C19 scissor truss roof erected in 1837, William Matthews builder, Mr. Davies architect, a plain chamfered almost semi-circular tower arch, and mostly C19 fittings, except the C13 font, a very low tulip bowl on turned base. Bells of interest, a treble by Henry Jordon of London, 1450 with original hangings, tenor of 1390 by a Bristol firm - although Whitfield claims it is dated 1583 and has no makers name. Church probably of Saxon origin, but first mention of church 1217. Originally dedicated to St. Giles, and has also been known as Holy Trinity Church (M Whitfield, In Praise of Bratton St Maur, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST6771130078


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Whitfield, M, In Praise of Bratton St Maur, (1974)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/10379/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sue Durant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].