This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177251



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thornfalcon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270927

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/138 Church of the Holy Cross



Parish church. C14-C15, restored 1882 by Benjamin Ferrey, tower restored 1912, church restored 1920, vestry added 1958. Squared and coursed lias north and east ends, otherwise roughcast, tower rendered, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, concrete tiles to vestry. West tower, 3-bay nave, south porch, chancel, north east vestry. Crenellated 3-stage tower, string course with gargoyles, set back buttresses rising to 2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, single light trefoil-headed opening below, 3-light west window set on lintel of Tudor arch head doorway, decorated spandrels and carved animals heads, aoulded plinth, north east stair turret, buttress at west end of nave inscribed with date MCMXII and lead plaque below stating that this was the date of the tower restoration; 2-light window left of single storey gabled porch without coped verges, moulded arched entrance, wagon roof, illegible oval lias tablet above fine ribbed and studded late medieval door with original metalwork; to right lias tablet to Joseph Wood died 1817, below small 2-light cinquefoil headed roof loft window with mullions set below eaves, buttress right, two 2-light windows to diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, early C19 tablet to Joseph Webber, mid C20 vestry addition with wooden 2-light window, wide stepped buttress on site of rood stair with wall to right partly rebuilt below 2-light mullioned rood loft window, three 2-light windows to nave with stepped buttresses between. Interior: chancel render grooved as ashlar, nave roughcast. Perpendicular chancel arch and moulded pointed tower arch. C16 ceiled wagon roof to chancel, moulded ribs and wall plate, nave boarded wagon roof with earlier ribs, wall plate said to be dated 1652. All nave windows with hoodmould terminals, mostly angels with shields, some knights and a bull. Moulded doorway in north wall of chancel said to be excommunication door, now leading to vestry. Pointed arch rood stair doorway with rood loft opening above, stairs thought to be intact. Chamfered 4-centred arch opening to west of present entrance, thought to be for stairs to room above porch when a 2-storey porch was planned. To east of entrance chamfered arched niche, thought to be a holy water stoop, Fine collection of bench ends, two dated 1542, others carved in similar style by parishoners 1890-1914. C18 pulpit with Ionic fluted columns and some inlay in panels, said to imported from another church in the late C19. C13 octagonal font. Stained glass in west window given by Miss Chisholm-Batten, died 1902. Hatchment. Ten Commandments painted on 2 tin sheets in the tower. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958; Kellys Directory, 1914).

Listing NGR: ST2833423911

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914)

National Grid Reference: ST 28334 23908


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 05:09:30.

End of official listing