This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177479



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ravenstone with Snibstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/60 Ravenstone Hospital

16.12.52 II*

Alms houses, founded 1711 and built soon after. Brick with stone dressing. Quadrangle with sides, of 2 storeys and 13 bays, symmetrically arranged. West side is principal front, and has centre piece with arched entrance with pilasters and entablature. Panel over door with arms of Wilkins, carved volutes, and traces of painted decoration, and the inscription "This hospital was built by John Wilkins Esq and with his consent very liberally endowed by Rebecca his wife in memory of their only son Francis Wollarton Wilkins, who died on the 5th day of Febrary A.D. 1711. Soli Deo Gratia". An additional inscription records that the 2 wings on the front of the building were built in 1784. To each side of this central entry, 2 further round-arched entrances with moulded chamfered arches and keystones, abutting brick aprons beneath upper windows; also 4 2-light stone mullioned windows, with diamond panes, stone eaves cornice and giant corner Tuscan pilasters. Other elevations conform in style, and all are unaltered.

To the east of the main quadrangle, an additional range is a good pastiche of c1860.

Listing NGR: SK4012413864

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 40124 13864


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:57:05.

End of official listing