CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177574
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177574.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Jul-2020 at 04:52:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Pitminster
National Grid Reference:
ST 19906 18701

Details

PITMINSTER CP ST11NE ANGERSLEIGH 9/93 Church of St Michael 15.1.15 GV II* Parish church. Tower C14, rest C15 extensively restored c1855 when chapel added, chancel arch rebuilt, nave crenellated and church largely refenestrated, 1872 porch converted to vestry, early C20 refitted, 1960s reroofed. Roughcast over rubble, exposed plinth to tower and buttresses, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower now entrance, 3-bay nave, south porch now vestry, north chapel now organ bay, chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to lower stage,string course with gargoyles, 2-light trefoil-headed bell-openings with wooden boards in imitation of Somerset tracery, string course, 3-light west window without cusping, moulded arched west doorway, C19 door, square stair turret reaching to upper stage, crenellated nave, 3-light windows under square hoodmoulds flanking single storey gabled porch, lancets on returns, 4-centered moulded arch doorway blocked with inserted upper section of 2-light window, 2-light windows under square hoodmoulds to north and south sides of chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light windows in nave flanking crenellated chapel, 3-light north window and 2-light on return. Interior: rendered, C19 chamfered chancel arch and chapel arch, C19 4-centred arch to vestry, plain C14 tower arch with original pointed, moulded, stair-turret doorway and west doorway. C19 roofs: chancel roof with ornate carved wall plate continued as end truss, C19 principal rafter roof to nave. The notable feature of the interior is the wealth of carved woodwork, mostly early C20 and executed by A E Eastwood of Leigh Court (qv) and members of the local woodworking class. Mr Eastwood who held the living and was Lord of the Manor died in 1949 aged 89. The panelled reredos were designed by Bligh Bond. Carved bench ends and fronts, carved pulpit and lectern, the latter incorporating old panelling as does the panelled dado in chancel. Mid C20 panelled dado to tower. Norman circular font with remains of cable moulding. Stained glass including east window of 1914 attributed to Arthur Tower. Small brass chandeliers donated 1914. The C19 alterations were mainly the work of the rector, the Rev Tucker who held the living, was Lord of the Manor and lived at Leigh Court. He died 1870. It is interesting to trace the close relationship between the lordship of the manor at Leigh Court and the living. (Photograph in NMR; Anon, St Michaels Church, Angersleigh, not dated).

Listing NGR: ST1990618701

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
271040
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
St Michaels Church Angersleigh Church Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12479/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].